Overfishing of Cod predates trawlers

Jaffa

Jaffa:

Leon, the seals did very well when the effort and fleet were at the maximum: thats when their numbers increased the most!.

Exactly!!

Taking out the competing finned predators means that the seals do very well!

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jay_con

Jaffa ? No sandeal = no cod?

No staek = No humans?

Fuel costs ? yet another smokescreen?

Those poor old trawlermen are having a hard time arent they. That merc off the drive will have to go and theyll have to move to an ordinary priced house like the rest of us.

@winter@:

Jaffa ? No sandeal = no cod?

No staek = No humans?

Fuel costs ? yet another smokescreen?

Those poor old trawlermen are having a hard time arent they. That merc off the drive will have to go and theyll have to move to an ordinary priced house like the rest of us.

Winter, you bring any evidence whatsoever that the current Sandeel decline has anything to do with commercial fishermen and I'd be interested.

Instead, lets just blame the commercials for everything and miss the real problems.

The changes in North Sea plankton are REAL.

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Talking to a deck hand this morning he tells me they took rockhopper gear off this last week put prawn gear on didnt have a bad week its not worth salt in trawl for whitefish so lets all go prawning, the big boats catch plenty of prawns shoval as much **** over the side as they can handle and believe me the discard rate is obscene with prawning the market drops out due to over supply and all the small boats struggling to make a living it goes tits up so whos in the wright

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Please don't believe every thing you read, espsally from ICES

Hi wurzel

As you know I am busy on another issue at the moment, so I don't post on here that often anymore.

I quite rightly don't believe everthing I read , from where-ever the information comes from , but i do try to read from as wide an area as possible , but the underlying message from the science has the same theme.

cheers

Tom

Guest stevie cop

Most of the talk is about trawling. Trawling is one of the least efficient ways of catching fish compared to some other commercial fishing methods.

The thing is, if we didn't have any interest in what happens to the fish, we wouldn't give a s*it what happened. Joe Public doesn't give a s*it! He doesn't go fishing, so he doesn't see what's happening. The first they will know of the fishing industrys collapse, is when they go into their local fish shop and there is no fish there!

It sometimes seems that there is a real conflict of interests between commercial fishermen and anglers. This isn't the case. We both want to see, (and be able to catch), plenty of decent size fish in the sea. I believe that by listening to each other, we might eventually come up with an answer, but that will mean both sides being honest and not living in denial. It's easy to make excuses and blame everyone except yourself, we all do it and have done for years. We blame the commercials, they blame global warming, seals, etc.

Until we pin down the real problem, and it's obvioius that there is a problem, we won't be able to do anything to solve it.

Guest jay_con

I beleive we already pinned down the problem - Commercial fishing.

Are we really on the same side? with the same goals. I question that.

In my opinion you are right about anglers wanting to catch bigger fish. To the commercial sector/netters they just want more profit. If that profit came from a fish the size of your thumbnail they wouldnt care less. Thier objective is cash in the bank. No way am I the same as a commercial fisherman. My objective is relaxation, fun and enjoyment, a break from the stresses of modern day life and work.

Jaffa ? I never mentioned the resons for sandeal decline ? I just said does no sandeal equal no cod.

Wouldnt the cod just adapt? This year the boats for months were reporting the fish to be stuffed with prawns and shrimps from August through to january. This has hardly ever happened before. I have no scientific proof of this but perhaps thier diet is changing?