How bigs your butt

Starvinmarvin

With all the talk of rod holders and positioning, I thought I'd ask what everyone thinks about their rods and the length of the butts.

I use a pair of Grauvell Anaga's, great rods, butts are too long, may actually cut one down this year and give it a go. My other two rods are Shimano Special Bass, both nice little rods with short butts, much more kayak friendly, but possibly a little short and the rods are only any use for lures.

So how big is your butt, could it be a little bigger, or small.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Hi there, I use a ABU spinning rod, good action but yes its just to long in the butt for a kayak, this year going to play fly fisherman, and we all know that the butts on a fly rod are about right for kayak fishing. have yet to find the idea rod for sitting down fishing, but it must be out there some place. terry

If only I had all the money for all the toys I want,;-(

Got most of them now, Just working on that Harley in blue ;-)

Hi Starvin

I don't think the length of the butt on my Solid Cs are a problem for me. However my rods are mounted behind me when I fish. Are your rods normally mounted in front of you?

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

No the Anaga's are behind me... usually, and the butts being long is quite good as the reels are kept high, but it's really when handling sat down that the handles are a pain, especially when fighting a nice fish and you have to swap sides.

I've noticed that in the Greys catalogue they actually state the length of butt and that's really what has got me thinking.

Have asked for a longboat 10-15lb for my birthday (wife, you listening) and according to the catalogue it has a sliding reel seat, this hopefully will be the answer to my problems. If not the hunt will continue.

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Malibu Mini-X

On the scupper I use a 7ft daiwa and have just ordered a 6lb class Fladen Maxximus which comes in at 7'6". The Daiwa just clears the bow so the Fladen will be perfect. The Fladen rods punch well above their weight and have a great new dealer in the Portsmouth area. He has just started and his service levels are excellent "Mannings Fishing Tackle" 023 9237 3073. Ordered on Monday will collect on Saturday. Im going to be busy this weekend.

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Ah yes Mr Darnsarf, it's not the length of rod I'm concerned with it's the size of your butt :D

The Fladen's are excellent rods, I would have a solid carbon tomorrow if it wasn't for my short little arms and the shortness of the rod, I just wouldn't be able to clear the end of the kayak. The 7' 6" get equally good reviews.

Another concern I have is twisting of the top section when under pressure, the Anaga's have both twisted under extreme pressure (Tope, Ray, anchor.... :D), leaving the rings on the opposite side of the rod to the rest, scary stuff indeed, I know that Simon has had the same problem with one of his rods.

But lets stick with butts for the moment.

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Malibu Mini-X

I was getting round to that. Nice butts as well :lol:

Seriously can only comment on the Daiwa it fits perfectly into standard boat rod holder. Easy to insert and extract from the Bog Pipe Special :rolleyes::lol:

Probably all depends on where you intend to put your butt

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

All my rods are approximately 18 inches from butt to reel.I would definately prefer a measurement closer to 15 inches.I use two one piece 6ft6inch Shakespeare Euroboat 12lb class rods that I bought down in Wales at Rogers tackle,Swansea---£15 each the best bargain that I've ever had.I also have a Penn powerstick 7ft 6inch 20-30lb which I rarely use as I prefer the one piece ones

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Rex Hunt and the boys on IFISH on the discovery channel always seem to use the ideal rods in my eyes, short handled (just past the elbow) and plenty of power. Wonder what they use.

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Malibu Mini-X