Canal fishing and the closed season?

Guest Ferret1959

Guest Ferret1959
Yes, it does say you can in 3.e and 6. ii).

You can fish for eels somewhere that has a close season (river, stream, ...) provided the only bait/lure you use is an artificial or natural fly, spinner, minnow, worm, prawn or shrimp, you don't use a float, and your hook has a gape of at least 0.5 inches or 12.7 mm.

What happens if you catch a chub by mistake???????????

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you return it a.s.a.p ,and try to unhook it in the water if you can ? in the old closed season days ,i used to fish for eels on the trent and trout on the derwent (derby's) but was allways being bothered by nuisance chub

& perch ect :blink::wacko::unsure::rolleyes:

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Guest Ferret1959
you return it a.s.a.p ,and try to unhook it in the water if you can ? in the old closed season days ,i used to fish for eels on the trent and trout on the derwent (derby's) but was allways being bothered by nuisance chub

& perch ect :blink::wacko::unsure::rolleyes:

Did you ever get asked about fishing in the closed season?

Oh and did you ever get any nuisence barbel? ;)

i was onces asked for my licence and had my baits examined but as i only had worms and a licence everything was ok ,i was fishing at whatstandswell just upstream of ambergate (the start of the area that you could fish for trout on the selected stretches of the river (and still can according to those bylaws they seem a little different from the old ones (i guess they've been revised since i used to fish in the old closed season) i used to carry a copy of the relavent bylaws with me just in case anyone asked but i don't think i ever showed them to anyone as the places i fished where well known by people as places to fish in the closed season.i never caught a barbel back then but theres been some in the derwent for quite a while now ! above ambergate of a decent size.

owls22dx.gif

Chavender

it was all ledgering though on big hooks with single lob worms (often with the longest worms you could find hooked several times to look like a bunch) i think you where limited to single baits back then ,but it may have been that i didn't have many to last all day.

(thanks too WickerDave for the link to the bylaws as i had long since lost my old copy,now i have upto date rules to fish by if the mood takes me ?)

Edited by chavender

owls22dx.gif

Chavender

Guest Ferret1959
Thing is though Dave if you could fish it in closed season would you actually catch any thing LOL :P

Flippin eck who said that, who are you? :D :D :D

Peter, I was told you could fish the Lea navigation but was not sure were from, thanks for that. Can you fish your local canal the Stort,

or is that classed as a river.

Andy.

I am afraid it is classed as a river and is actually closed.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

peter

just had a look on the lea consortium site,you can fish from bow-chesunt no further than aqueduct lock.

i had a look as i was curious n might go chuck some lures see whats about.

Good luck with your lure fishing.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/