Four Seasons on the Hampshire Avon

Chris Plumb

Looks like another cracking DVD to add to my Christmas list. Due for release in October so I understand. Paul Witcher (yes THAT Paul Witcher) did the filming....

A taster on Youtube...

Youtube Video ->

C.

Edited by Chris Plumb

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Chris, looks fantastic, and will certainly be on my wish list.

We'll be spoilt for choice this autumn if (as promised) Catching the Impossible is also released.

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Guest tigger
We'll be spoilt for choice this autumn if (as promised) Catching the Impossible is also released.

C.

I wonder if you'd get a discount if you bought them all ?

I was dace fishing with Paul yesterday on the Avon (naturally), and from the sounds of it this film will be something very special. It has taken almost three years to make, and features some of the most beautiful angling scenery in the country. The exquisite Avon valley is shown in the various splendours of all four English seasons, the river itself constantly and eternally enchanting and mystical, and there are of course some wonderful fish. This film aims to capture something of the aesthetic spirit of angling, and will remind us why it’s not called ‘catching’. It will surely be something to keep and cherish.

What's interesting is that, though anglers are rarely surprised by a totally grim day, we nearly always maintain our optimism. We understand pessimism because our dreams are sometimes dented by the blows of fate, but always our hope returns, like a primrose after a hard winter. ~ C. Yates.

• 1 month later...

I understand the release of this film is now imminent. You can find out how to order a copy on Paul's new website:

Paul Witcher Productions

Almost as good as being there!

What's interesting is that, though anglers are rarely surprised by a totally grim day, we nearly always maintain our optimism. We understand pessimism because our dreams are sometimes dented by the blows of fate, but always our hope returns, like a primrose after a hard winter. ~ C. Yates.

I’ve now watched Four Seasons on the Hampshire Avon a couple of times, and I’d like to commend it to the forum. It’s a lovely film that shows the sublime natural beauty of the Hampshire Avon throughout the changing seasons. The style and emphasis is very reminiscent of A Passion for Angling, and anyone who likes that wonderful series will surely enjoy this film.

Watching the Four Seasons is like a tonic. I haven’t been able to get out angling as much as I’d have liked recently, and this film’s been a wonderful fix for my craving- it really hits the spot. The scenery is gorgeous, and there’s tons of wildlife footage against the ambient soundtrack of rippling water and birdsong. Owls, woodpeckers, water voles and deer are beautifully shown, against a backdrop of wild flowers and butterflies in the water meadows, and silhouetted trees in sunsets. The classical music (Elgar) sets the relaxed mood of the film, and Jason Inskip narrates with dulcet tones.

The fishing is brilliant too- there’s great coverage of salmon and brown trout fly fishing and dramatic footage of some very impressive coarse angling. I don’t want to give too much away, but there are captures of specimen river carp, barbel, pike and roach, with the emphasis throughout being on the angling not just the catching.

It doesn’t try to be a technical fishing instruction documentary, but as an hour of unadulterated visual therapy for the angler who loves to fish in idyllic rural English countryside, it really does the job. After watching it I felt as chilled out as if I’d actually been there.

Five Stars from me.