Rods, power float or "normal" ?

Phil Adams

Hi all, My dad and I have been looking to get new float rods due to ours being very old and somewhat tired.

Looking around at the vast choice avaliable is driving me mad. Even when I find a rod at a suitable price with all the features I like..........they spring another choice on me! i.e the normal rod or a "power" version.

I'm looking for a general 13/14ft waggler rod to be used on the local lakes and ouse, mainly for decent bream, tench, chub etc.

The problem is, i dont know if I should go for a power, or normal version of a rod. Although I'm not looking at breaking any records fish wise, there is always a chance of a rampaging middle ouse chub or chunky lake tench to be had. Equally I dont want to be dragging in smaller fish or missing bites with a broomstick.

So what should I go for?

Power rods are generally marketted for carp from commercial mud puddles. And, yes, I have one, I bought it for river bream. Probably not a bad choice. In an ideal world go for both! Good rods are just sooooo cheap today, unless you are a label freak!

i'd say look at the line rating of the rods (mainline) its not easy to put a standard formula as each manufacturer list there rods differently but as a rougth guide a standard match/float rod will have a line rating of 3-4lb and a power float/carp 4-5lb,just choose one to match the size of fish you'll be fishing for ,and like peter says you might be able to afford two rods one for small & silver fish (fish upto 5lb) and one for medium fish like small carp,bream ,big chub & small barbel (fish from 4lb to 8lb).

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Part of my confusion has been to do with line ratings, since there is often only a "lb" difference between the ranges.

I think I might just choose one that I like and have done with it lol, I doubt I would struggle to land a slightly larger fish on a normal rod anyway given a balanced setup. If I do then I'll revise my setup.

Off to Leslies tomorrow methinks!

Thanks to both of you.

Look on it this way, Phil, you can more easily land a little fish on a big rod, but you might not land a big fish on a little rod. Have a look at both Ron Thompson and Okuma rods, impressive stuff at sensible prices.

Phil

My preferencxe would be for one rod but buy a quality rod with one of the "anti lock" "Parabolic" actions. With these you can get a proper float fishing rod that is a joy to use but also when pushed will keep bending rather than lock up as most older or cheeper rods will. This makes them much more versatile. Personaly I use the Maver Reactorlite (@£99) if you can find them. I have promissed myself that next time I need to replace a rod It will be one of the Preston Sentient rods, not cheep but the sort of rod you will be hapy to use in ten years time.

Just to let you know I have just bought a Drennan Competition Float 13ft, reel lines from 2-5lb and I think its just what I was looking for :) and cost just under £75

There is a "carp" version, but this felt too stiff for my liking. I'm going to try it out asap and I'll let you know.

Guest tigger
Just to let you know I have just bought a Drennan Competition Float 13ft, reel lines from 2-5lb and I think its just what I was looking for :) and cost just under £75

There is a "carp" version, but this felt too stiff for my liking. I'm going to try it out asap and I'll let you know.

Hi Phil,

Is that the series 7 competition?

Tigger.

quote name='Peter Waller' date='Mar 21 2006, 01:28 PM' post='604179']

Look on it this way, Phil, you can more easily land a little fish on a big rod, but you might not land a big fish on a little rod.

Now just to confuse matters I would look at it from a different veiw!

I would consider what strength hook lengths I would be mainly using rather than sie of fish expected.Working on the premise that I could get away with using a heavier hook length on a light rod but not a light one on a heavy rod.

Hollow tiped "Waggler" rods have a more suitable action for playing big fish on than spliced tip "Stick float" rods so for an all round float rod I would go for a Waggler type rod of around 13'

Other than fishing for carp on the commercials that they were designed for I have found "power" match rods very good for Mullet ,Chub,Tench and even small barbel.They are just too much for 1.1lb hook links and size 20 hooks.

I do agree with Peter though that some of the cheaper rods are well worth a look.

Just noticed youve all ready chosen one! Good choice Drennan make a nice rod.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Hi Phil,

Is that the series 7 competition?

Tigger.

Yes mate it is, and I cant wait to use it lol, its the first Drennan rod Ive owned.

Thing is, I have a range of rods (dont we all) two of which are soft 12ft 1lb test avon types. So I figured a nice slim match rod for general use, and if need be to use the avons for larger fish as normal.