Question to the Forum: A good lure rod?

Julian

Hi all, can anybody help with this visitors question to the forum?

----------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

I'm looking for a 2 piece lure rod (trigger grip) around 8.5 - 9 foot in length, capable of casting lures up to around 120g (Helltails, Bulldawgs etc). The rod needs to have some backbone and not be too soft. Any ideas?

----------------------------------------------------------

The visitor has been directed to this post so could any answers be posted below.

Thanks in advance, Julian.

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

No such beast exists! St Croix make some good 7.5 and 8ft rods in their Avid range, but they're one piece. Would advise going for a shorter rod if you want a two piece which is up to the task. I think there was a thread recently about Greys, TFG and Nash who all do something suitable.

Tim

I'd be amazed if such a weapon existed 'off the shelf' Rods rated up to 120 grams exist but they're usually 'one piece', no longer than 7 feet and built to take a baitcaster reel.

It raises the question 'why do you need an 8.5-9 foot rod ?' A shorter rod (no longer than 7 foot) is far more comfortable to handle particularly with big lures. Anything capable of handling 120 grams is by definition at the heavier end of the scale and a nine footer of that stature would be a long cumbersome beast. Casting and rewinding big dawgs all day would soon become a chore. Perhaps that's why they are not (as far as I know) in any of the standard rangs of lure rods.

If you insist on a long rod then you probably have two choices. Either go to someone like Dave Lumb www.dlst.co.uk and see if he can fix you up with a custom build or try one of the short rods made for bait fishing from a boat which are becoming popular. I have nine foot Greys which are rated at 2.75TC and at a pinch would throw big dawgs. Fox also make a couple of versions for either fixed spool or baitcaster. But they are made for baitfishing and were not designed for continual casting of big lures. Unless you have arms like Arnie, you'll find them hard work. Best bet is probably Dave who is also currently running a 'Sale of the Century'...that means it only happens every 100 years :lol:

Whoops sorry Tim. beat me to it.

Edited by argyll

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Long two-piece rods (from 8.5 up to 12 feet) suitable for throwing around Bull Dawgs does exist and have done for the last twenty years in Scandinavia, where they have been used for heavy salmon & pike fishing.

Fishing with heavy crankbaits using rods in lengths between 9 & 12 feet was the predominant method for catching pike in Sweden and Norway many, many years before the current jerkbait craze arrived.

Contrary to popular opinion slightly longer rods (8 to 9 feet) is very suitable for throwing heavy soft baits & crankbaits and has the added benefit of greatly improved casting distances.

RST rods from Lundgrens in Sweden are just one of the many rods available.

RST rods

The RST rods are distributed in the UK by Fishing Pool.

Fishing Pool

Another great rod for the money is the Pete Maina Signature Series sold by Luremania.

Pete Mania rods

Edited by Vidar6

Vidar has just beaten me to it!

I have found 9' Jerkbait type rods very good for long range casting.Certainly chuck further than all my shorter ones.Yes they are that bit heaavier but come on guys are we Pike Men or Pike Mice ? :rolleyes::P No seriously the real disadvantage Ive found with my longer rods is when working the lure I tend to keep hitting the water when using downward strokes!

If you still feel you realy need a longer rod then this is easy achieved by getting a one piece jerk bait rod blank to use as a tip and making up a seperate handle.ie long tip short stiff handle,bit like the popular top of the range beach rod set up.

Im sure Dave will be able to sort you out but if not let me know as Ive got one such blank left I may be persuaded to let go.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

There is a 9ft, 2 piece 60-120g Harrison available. I don't have price for a built rod as that would depend on build specification, but I'd suggest it would be upwards of £120.

I have the 45-90 version and having just been outside and easily managed to chuck a Bull Dawg with it I reckon the 60-120 would have no trouble at all with even heavier lures.

Dave

dlstsig.png

Probably the all time best 2-piece longish heavy pike rod is the BFT Pike Furusund, a rod with legendary status within large parts of the Swedish Pike fishing fraternity.

The rod is 11 feet long, rated from 30 – 100 grams casting weight and is built by Tony Fordham (yes, the British rod builder) on a blank from the German Sportex factory.

Weighing in at £295.00 it can’t be described as cheap by any stretch of imagination, but it is a truly magnificent rod for heavy crankbait fishing for Pike & Salmon.

BFT Pike Furusund rod