Mullet Season 2006

Matt Baldwin

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to visit a client in London, N7 yesterday. I was early so having the time I strolled around, and in so doing had a look in a couple of fish shops. They both sold Mullet ( 2 to 3lb range ) but on asking did not know where they originated apart from the wholeseller.

Intresting to see in one shop they had fresh Carp, Mirrors of about 5 to 6lbs which were not very attractive fish, very deep like the Italian strains. Plus, plenty of Bass, all small, looking just on or over the minimum size.

Andrew Boyd

Fished yesterday & my friend had a lovely fish just under 6lb! 5 15oz. I had a good fish get off and there were loads of good sized fish grubbing around on the bottom!

Water temp still seems very warm & I am sure the mullet will be here for a couple more weeks at least!

Interested in fishing somewhere for mullet in Nov abroad! I have fished fueguelia (don't think I spelt that right) on the coasta del sol! and caught on average 3 fish a day in the marina and may go there because I know they are there! But does anybody know of any other mullet hotspots in Spain or surrounding areas in Nov that may be worth trying if I can't get that location!

Interested in fishing somewhere for mullet in Nov abroad! I have fished fueguelia (don't think I spelt that right) on the coasta del sol! and caught on average 3 fish a day in the marina and may go there because I know they are there! But does anybody know of any other mullet hotspots in Spain or surrounding areas in Nov that may be worth trying if I can't get that location!

About halfway between Alicante and Torrevieja there is a large area of saltlakes, there are No Fishing signs dotted about but people still fish there. I have seen very big mullet in the lakes close to the road and have got them to take crust off the surface but haven't fished there. Have also seen decent fish around Torrevieja. There is a channel that feeds the working saltlakes that runs right through the town, upstream of the bypass is where I have seen the bigger ones. I hope this is of help. David Matthews

Thanks for that Dave I will try & check those places out on the map. Meantime still going well here had 2 fish today one at 2 1/2 lb & the other at 4lb 8oz. Great fight as well! Maybe I was making a bit of a meal of it but it took about 20 mins to get in!

Fished yesterday.

Had one off about 1 1/2 lbs ( did not weigh it but unhooked it in the net ) and lost one, both near Rochester castle. Then moved to fish the rising tide at Gillingham pier, masses of very big fish moving in with the tide but steadfastly ignoring my bread. The pier got so busy I packed in early.

Andrew Boyd

I was thinking about trying for mullet down at Weymouth Harbour early in November, does anyone know if they tend to still be around that late in the year?

As look as the weather remains mild they should still be with us! Had two mullet & 2 bass yesterday! There was some really big mullet taking surface crust but i had a fish on everytime they wereabout! Missed one take with a big one & that was it they were gone!

If your about prehaps we could go for a session? I am going Costa Del Sol between 12-nov & 17-nov mulleting of cause! but anything the other side of those dates no problem!