Mullet Season 2006

Matt Baldwin

I fished a well-known Alderney mark yesterday and had this mullet of around 5lbs on bread on a size 8 Kamasan fished deep under a float. Lost another, possibly bigger fish through trying to bully it away from rocks. I hope I can repeat the feat during the Alderney Angling Festival which starts tomorrow.

Edit- forgot to mention, I couldn't weigh it as I had no scales with me and it was returned alive.

post-9280-1160756985.jpg

Edited by Puffin

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fished a well-known Alderney mark yesterday and had this mullet of around 5lbs on bread on a size 8 Kamasan fished deep under a float. Lost another, possibly bigger fish through trying to bully it away from rocks. I hope I can repeat the feat during the Alderney Angling Festival which starts tomorrow.

Edit- forgot to mention, I couldn't weigh it as I had no scales with me and it was returned alive.

:clap2: I'll have a go in Portsmouth harbour tomorrow as it's still warm here, could be the last reasonable chance this year as once it gets cold they go off the feed. :clap2:

As look as the weather remains mild they should still be with us! Had two mullet & 2 bass yesterday! There was some really big mullet taking surface crust but i had a fish on everytime they wereabout! Missed one take with a big one & that was it they were gone!

If your about prehaps we could go for a session? I am going Costa Del Sol between 12-nov & 17-nov mulleting of cause! but anything the other side of those dates no problem!

Hi Sean, Looking ahead, I am thinking of having a go at Weymouth on the 5th of November if conditions look reasonable

Anyone know if Malaga big port south contains any mullet?

hiya sean, just to tip you off that fishing INSIDE of harbours and marinas is prohibited here. has been for a couple of years.you can normally fish on the outside(seaward edges) of breakwaters, with no problem.

you MAY see people fishing in the ports,but they could be holidaymakers who dont know that the fine if caught averages 300€!

also sea angling is licenced in spain, each autonomous region, having its own rules,fees,and size limits!

andalucia is not my region,(im in the communidad valenciana), but there is a poster on here(tony u), who goes to andalucia frequently, and i know has up to date info.

maybe a search for his name and a PM might be an idea, hes a nice guy, and very helpful.

cheers dave. :)

B)-->

QUOTE(Norm B @ Oct 13 2006, 05:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:clap2: I'll have a go in Portsmouth harbour tomorrow as it's still warm here, could be the last reasonable chance this year as once it gets cold they go off the feed. :clap2:

:clap2: Well, I gave it 3 hours, strong east wind had the rods moving all over the place but within 5 minutes I had a bass of about 1lb which went straight back. A couple more knocks, hard to tell in the wind and that was it, nothing, zilch. I packed up and came home. Got some worm for Tuesday as there are still sole about and pout are a byecatch for sole and there are a lot of big bass around so I'll chance tactics and rods and see how it goes. I just hope these east winds drop or go round to west or south. :clap2:

i and Andrew Boyd fished the medway yest

fished the civic centre and sun pier. had 1 each, mine 1lb, andrew's at 3lb 8oz.

went to sun pier, i had 2 school bass and another medway mulleter turned up (Luke), we saw a mullet approx 8lb or so from 20ft up ontop of the pumping station, hooked it then it shed the hook :( grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Matt

Hia's All

hiya sean, just to tip you off that fishing INSIDE of harbours and marinas is prohibited here. has been for a couple of years.you can normally fish on the outside(seaward edges) of breakwaters, with no problem.

you MAY see people fishing in the ports,but they could be holidaymakers who dont know that the fine if caught averages 300€!

also sea angling is licenced in spain, each autonomous region, having its own rules,fees,and size limits!

andalucia is not my region,(im in the communidad valenciana), but there is a poster on here(tony u), who goes to andalucia frequently, and i know has up to date info.

maybe a search for his name and a PM might be an idea, hes a nice guy, and very helpful.

cheers dave. :)

Oh dear! fished fueloguila marina in 2000 no problem and have booked a holiday to fish there for 5 days! I am hoping that out of season they won't worry so much? Hopefully they will caution us first?Maybe not such a good idea then?

Oh dear! fished fueloguila marina in 2000 no problem and have booked a holiday to fish there for 5 days! I am hoping that out of season they won't worry so much? Hopefully they will caution us first?Maybe not such a good idea then?

do you mean fuengirola! :lol: i would search out tony u and ask what he thinks.they can be more lenient with holidaymakers, although i saw two last weekend sent off with a flea in their ear, in the area i fish for mullet(altea costa blanca).

like i said use the search function to find his name, and e. mail him,i know hes just last week, come back from there, not sure if it was a fishing or bird watching trip he was on this time though!

we are not allowed to fish in altea marina now either, but moving to the outer edges has been no problem in truth, less disturbance, and also caught some nice bream as well.

we have had good catches using small slivers of sardine,if its too soft cut some slivers up the night before and leave them in a bed of salt in a plastic tub. they toughen up nicely to stay on the hook better.

cheers sean, dave :)

Sean

Have just caught up with this thread, There are plenty Mullet in the Harbours on the Med coast around Malaga; I don't know Fuengirola at all though, (I am visiting the Atlantic coast around Sanlucar and Chipiona these days).

What I can Advise is do not fish unless you have a licence as the Guardia are particularly hot on unlicensed fishing and Harbours and Marinas are a honey pot for them.

Licences in Andalusia are difficult to obtain. They are available from the Local Agriculture and Fishery Dept of the Junta d'Andalusia, local tackle shops should know where, ask them for Licencia and they will know (best take someone with you who speaks Spanish). However in order to avoid taking a test you must bring proof of your angling ability a current UK Freshwater licence would be sufficient. You will then be given a certificate for payment which you will have to present to a bank to get your Licence endorsed for use. The whole process takes between 3-5 days, worth doing if you visit regularly or have property there.

If you try winging it and hoping to get away with fishing without a licence, stay away from places as obvious as Marinas or Harbours and try to find isolated coves as you will have less chance of bumping in to the Guardia, the Mullet will be there just feed bread and you will get them going nuts.

My recommendation is if you want to fish the Med, Valencia and Catalonia are much better bets, as it is much easier to obtain the necessary Licences; Andalusia is for bird watching or lazing on the Beach.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

I have just been informed young Matt Baldwin has just had a 7lb 1oz fish from near Sun Pier in Chatham.

Well done Matt.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.