feeder/quiver advice

andyml

That's fine vag, but how does he recast to the exact same spot again after retrieval?

The same way as with his present method. The loop stays in the clip during and between each cast until it is pulled out.

If you mean, after a bigger-than-usual fish has pulled the loop out, then yes, the exact distance is lost. A small price to pay? Better surely, than the present history of breakages.

You can always re-inforce the grip the clip has on the loop by pressing a finger-tip on the clip and loop - eg during the strike.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of my mates tie a bit of braid on to the line after getting the distance set. This is positioned by the butt ring.

After playing/ landing/losing :) a fish you recast, wind back until the braid is at the butt ring, clip up and wind back and recast to your mark.

Den

They probably read post No 2 from me on this thread. :wallbash:

Guest tigger
What's all this got to do with the original question?

Hooklink keeps snapping, maybe stronger line would help?

I thought that was what the question was about (the hooklink snapping).

Maybe i've missunderstood the question?

Tigger.

I think the best way might be to tie the marker braid on the line, and when casting feather the line slightly if you think the cast is slightly to powerful, but also as soon as you see the braid marker leave the spool feather the line harder. I know you will be slightly further out than the markers position, but you will roughly stop the line at the same position each time, as you should react to the marker leaving the spool in the same period of time on each cast, so you should get it fairly accurate.

Also, for bream you dont want the bed of feed to small do you, i mean if the shoal is 50 fish strong, then you dont want them all trying to feed over a 3ft area of feed, maybe more like 8 ft area. although tench are slightly different from what i gather.

should also be able to hear the braid going through the rings each time.

I think the old saying practice makes perfect should be applied here.

thanks for your responses folks...some very good suggestions

the one that appeals most is Vagabond's loop......sounds simple and effective like all the best solutions

so i'll see how i get on with it and maybe try other suggestions if necessary.

i'll have established the distance with a dedicated marker rod and will have this, clipped up and retrieved, to hand if i need to relocate the sweet spot.

thanks to all for your help...tight lines :)

<')Andy<

A few Ideas

I often use vagabonds method but instead of a loop of line I use a powergum stop knot and tuck the Tag ends under the clip. That way you can not only release from the clip but find the mark again. Maybe a small blob of paint on the line would work. I used to use float paint as a marker but got bored with having to top it up all the time.

My favourite method which I used in a match yesterday to catch Fish to 6lbs is to clip up normaly but when I cast I put the rod top behind me as the feeder flies through the air. Once the feeder had landed I wind the slack onto the real as I bring the rod back around to the rest . This gives me enough uncliped line for any initial surge by the fish.

Regardless of what method I use ( and in the summer for bream I might use none) two things remain constant. Most important is that I can cast accurately in the fisrt place and dont rely on the clip. The clip/marker should only be there to confirm that you have cast accurately.

Secondly once I have established an area that I want to cast to I count the number of turns on the reel required to bring the tackle back from the swim. That way if I were to lose the mark, with a little trial and error (and a swap to a bomb if I am fishing the feeder) I can find the swim again.

As I said the clip should never be used to find the distance, if a feeder hits the clip when casting the strech in the line can make the cast a lot less accurate than you might think. In additionn if you rely on it for accuracy then you wont be developing your casting accuracy.

Edited by A Worm OOE