Level Wind

Elton

As I've been chatting to mates about getting some new beach reels, the issue of level winds has come up.

How much distance is it reckoned that a level wind will lose you? Is there any other reason for not having one?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Elton distance is not always the answer.

It's a case of using the right tool for the job, or where you are fishing as the case would be.

I've stood on Gorleston Pier, a 12lb Uglystik boat rod, Penn320Gti loaded with 50lb dynabraid. (Don't ask why the combination) On that session I caught loads of Whiting from the river side and a 1.5lb Bass from the beach side.

My main Rod n Reel, Century G1 & Mag Elite, cast at a distance hardly got a rattle. :unsure:

I use the Penn320Gti on most of my boat trips, but on this occasion it proved to be the right tool on the day. :thumbs:

Cheers 4 Now

John E

ANBanna.gif

As I've been chatting to mates about getting some new beach reels, the issue of level winds has come up.

How much distance is it reckoned that a level wind will lose you? Is there any other reason for not having one?

As for distance I'd say it really depends on how good a caster you are - the competition guys go 300 yds+ and for them I'm sure it makes a difference; for me as most of my fishing is done in water that is quite deep close in, I never need to go more than 70yds.

I've got reels with and without levelwinds and at that range I've found it really doesn't make any difference, so I generally stick to my ABU level winds and don't have to think about laying the line correctly etc when bringing a sizeable fish.

Elton, if you need to fish at distance the last thing you need is a level wind. They reckon bait takes 30/50 yds off a cast a level wind would take a further 30/50 I would guess. Working back from there, you'd need to put together the power etc. of a 200 yds cast with bait and level wind to fish at 100 yds. If your fishing within 50/75 yds of the shoreline then I would say it would be worth considering, the flip side is you can always fish shorter without a level wind without losing the flexibility to fish at range.

The right tool for the job ! Boat rods and 50lb braid in the river at Gorleston :blink: , you give them a sporting chance then ! A recent match (yesterday) was won with 2lbs 5oz, which you could have comfortably managed on coarse gear rather than your stand up and fight conger gear ! Maybe the port authority will rent out capstan winches and crane jibs for the spring run of codling ??? :doh:

Edited by Holmesy

It should take you about 10 casts to get used to not using a level wind. After a couple of sessions you will have it mastered. My advice to anyone thinking of buying a mulitplier for fishing from the shoreline would be go without the level wind from the very start. A level wind will take 30 plus yards off a cast. Its well known that the majority of fish are caught close range but every so often they are that bit further out. With a reel minus level wind you can thumb the cast to drop in close when required or on the occasion they are further out you can let the cast go that bit further and catch the fish your friend with a level wind is missing.

Some good valid points raised on this. I'd say the most important one was Norfolk boys about not being able to grip the spool properly. Apart from that, I don't think the level wind makes that much difference to distance for the average angler. I'd put the loss of distance at nearer to 10 yards than 30, (that's if there is any loss of distance at all), for the average angler. When you get into the realms of very powerful casting styles, spool slip does come into the equation and that's where a level wind becomes a hindrance.

As has been mentioned, when fishing off the beach there are too many factors working against you already for the levelwind to make that much difference. Wind, bait and rig, uneven ground, etc, will all cut down your distance by anything from 20% to 50% depending on conditions/tackle/bait, etc. A levelwind, in my opinion, will only lose you about 5% to 10% at the most.

Edited by Steve Coppolo

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Some good valid points raised on this. I'd say the most important one was Norfolk boys about not being able to grip the spool properly. Apart from that, I don't think the level wind makes that much difference to distance for the average angler. I'd put the loss of distance at nearer to 10 yards than 30, (that's if there is any loss of distance at all), for the average angler. When you get into the realms of very powerful casting styles, spool slip does come into the equation and that's where a level wind becomes a hindrance.

As has been mentioned, when fishing off the beach there are too many factors working against you already for the levelwind to make that much difference. Wind, bait and rig, uneven ground, etc, will all cut down your distance by anything from 20% to 50% depending on conditions/tackle/bait, etc. A levelwind, in my opinion, will only lose you about 5% to 10% at the most.

Fair point Steve, but if it doesn't make much of a difference why don't we use them on the our coast (Essex, Suffolk, Norfolk) ? I'll tell you why, because with all of the factors you mentioned working against you why handicap yourself with another ? I know theres a "style" element with none level wind reels, but I know for a fact (measured it) the difference bait makes to my cast (around 30yds), the fact that the rotating spool also has to power the level wind in free spool adds to the resistance against the spool reducing spool speed and distance. To an average caster, casting say 120yds with a plain lead, bait will reduce his distance to around 100yds, the addition of a level wind will have him fishing at quite a bit less than a 100 yds. Not a problem if your fishing is done within 60yds of the shore, but you can fish that close with a none level wind reel without losing the flexibility of distance if required.

Fair point Steve, but if it doesn't make much of a difference why don't we use them on the our coast (Essex, Suffolk, Norfolk) ? I'll tell you why, because with all of the factors you mentioned working against you why handicap yourself with another ? I know theres a "style" element with none level wind reels, but I know for a fact (measured it) the difference bait makes to my cast (around 30yds), the fact that the rotating spool also has to power the level wind in free spool adds to the resistance against the spool reducing spool speed and distance. To an average caster, casting say 120yds with a plain lead, bait will reduce his distance to around 100yds, the addition of a level wind will have him fishing at quite a bit less than a 100 yds. Not a problem if your fishing is done within 60yds of the shore, but you can fish that close with a none level wind reel without losing the flexibility of distance if required.

Hi Holmsey

I agree that most people in our part of the world don't use level winds, and that can be put down to the fact that we do need to cast decent distances a lot of the time in order to be successful. I did have an Abu 6500 with a level wind once, but I had it converted. So I am aware that a CT cage is preferable when you need to hit decent distances. I still think that it's the spool gripping thing that makes the most difference though.

As you say, the longer your cast, the more distance the various factors working against you will be lost. I would say, regardless of what they may claim, that the "average" angler casts around 80 yards on the beach with bait. 5% to 10% of that will be 4 to 8 yards. That's not going to make that much difference to anyones catches. On the other hand, for the caster who can put a bait out to 150 yards simple maths says that the distance he loses will be almost double that amount. In fact it could be more than double as any of the factors work against him even more than the shorter caster.

Another reason for not using a level wind reel off the beach is that the leader knot catches in it as you cast, and a bit of weed on the knot as you retreive will cause a headache if you are playing a good fish.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Absolutely Steve. Depending on the type of fishing Elton is doing will depend on the reel choice, hopefully he's enough information now to form an opinion before making a potentially expensive mistake.

You do raise an interesting point about distances. All to often I've asked anglers on my local beach how far out they were fishing when they caught to be told "about 150 mate", then I've stood there and watched them cast shy of the ends of the groins, about 80 max. Fishing distance is the hardest thing to estimate and all too often its over estimated, 150yds with bait is a bloody good bung and I would say beyond the reach of 80/90% of sea anglers.

Edited by Holmesy