Help!

davecole

My 8 year old son wants to start sea fishing and I'm looking for a good place to take him. At this moment he would be happy to catch anything. Any ideas? We live in Yorkshire but for him I will travel just about anyplace.

Thanks

Hi Dave ... and welcome to AN !! :D:lol:

Do you want to fish from boats ... or from the shore ???

The Older I get .. The better I was.

Hi Dave ... and welcome to AN !! :D:lol:

Do you want to fish from boats ... or from the shore ???

I really don't mind, I have fished from both. To keep him interested it has to be a place that he will catch.

I am happy to take him on boat trips but a few good shore spots would be great.

Thanks

Due to his age I would tend to start with somewhere safe and simple ...

How about the harbours at Bridlington,Scarborough or Whitby ??

Float fishing in harbours is usually great fun for the kids.

Should be plenty of small stuff knocking about for him ... and a reasonably fast catch rate. :thumbs::thumbs:

The Older I get .. The better I was.

If you live near to Whitby I can reccommend the kiddies corner down the steps by the swing bridge. Its on the opposite side to the Dolphin pub, I have taken my little lad there and he loves it, float fishing with mussell on an incoming tide. You will catch plenty of billet there(undersize coalies) to keep the little one interested. Just a ps, take a disgorger as the little buggers are quite voracious and some swallow the bait, barbless hooks might help as well

Not sure where you are in yorks ?

Check out these sites.

http://www.photorecce.co.uk/intro.html

http://www.mack1.karoo.net/chris/

www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk

www.wcsa.co.uk

For any info on whitby drop me an email at whitbyseaanglers.co.uk. Ill do what I can to help.

Not sure where you are in yorks ?

Check out these sites.

http://www.photorecce.co.uk/intro.html

http://www.mack1.karoo.net/chris/

www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk

www.wcsa.co.uk

For any info on whitby drop me an email at whitbyseaanglers.co.uk. Ill do what I can to help.

All I can say is a big thanks too all of you. You have given me some great ideas and my son will be over the moon.

Thanks again.

Dave

Just a ps, take a disgorger as the little buggers are quite voracious and some swallow the bait, barbless hooks might help as well

Brian - not sure what size hooks you need to use on those but if #8 or larger give a try at a packet of the Gamakatsu Octopus Circle hooks.

Most takes even when the fish swallows the bait down to somewhere around it's tail you can just pull and it will pop out. Almost all hooking will be in the lip area where they are easy to remove. The barb is tiny as well so easy enough to unhook the fish.

I started using them with US bream (bluegills and similar) since a normal hook will result in lots of deep hooked and probably gonna-die fish but a switch to the Octopus Circle hooks dropped those numbers from about 1 in 3 or 4 to maybe 1 in 50. I've seen the same sort of results with our catfish which are equally fond of deep hooking themselves.

The pattern has been so successful for us that I don't have any other style hooks in my box these days. Just Octopus Circle hooks from #8 to 6/0.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President