quiver fishing

spud mckay

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just my 2 cents worth:

1. probably the obvious but before setting upmy rod i mix some groung bait and maggots (personally i find red the best) and lob it out. this way while setting up it gives time to attract fish to your swim.

2. at this time of year bites can be shy, so recommending the fine tip is GENERALY the best, BUT also at this time of year the wind can pick up, the current can be strong etc, etc so i would choose the mid range tip.

3. if fishing a lake , or summer river i keep the tip low, but again this time of year with the flow a bit faster and stronger i keep the rod high as to keep line out of the water and avoid line drag and false bites.

4. (as said by others) sit with rod right angle to the swim, in laymans terms sit with your shoulder(left or right up to you) towards the water.

other things like line size/type, hooks type/size and rigs have to be choosen with experiance from fishing the swims and you will soon find what works. (for example i generaly use a patanoster rig with the lighter hook lenght, but if im bagging big fish ill leave the hooklenght stronger so not to lose the catch. personally i use a hook lenght of one arms lenght.)if your not getting bites try to downscale the rig, getting a lot of tiddlers in summer? upscale. again trail and error.

target boards can be a help in windy conditions or just starting out, to detect shy bites easier.

to gain acuracy casting, choose a target on far bank ( a tree, a pylon etc.) and aim for that every cast.

after casting and ledger has settled, drag the line back a fraction so that the hook bait is lieing in the ground bait.

good luck and hope you bag well!

Only trouble with fishing a sidewinder on a river is that you cant realy fish with your tip up in the air (to keep as much line out of the current as possible) as it rather defeats the whole point! also because of this no good for upstream ledgering.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Chris

No Im not talking of a target board. They are placed behind the tip and give a fixed target to watch the tip against but do nothing to stop the tip from bouncing about. Also for me when I have tried target boards I go gogle eyed after ten minutes.

My method actually helps stabalise the tip as it rests against the bank stick.

What you are imagining has the bank stick past the end of the rod tip my method has the bank stick between me and the rod tip.

As an aside I f a I wanted a target when there is no wind I would just use a bank stick beyond the rod top as I find them easier to stare at than a big black board.

Just re-read your initial post sorry miss read it first time,i get Wat your on about now :).

thanks for that

as anyone plz got any diagrams of that thing you do with your bankstick when its windy

Yes I got one but not sure if I am allowed to post the picture on the website. I can do it on an private email

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/