Float fishing: sensitivity

J.K

Hopefully simple question. Which is more sensitive, a float fished bottom end only or a float fished top and bottom using float rubbers ? For this question presume the float is the same for both situations.

Are there any benefits to either method over the other ?

Cheers,

Joel

2PhJuly2013sig_zps25c667b8.jpg

Hopefully simple question. Which is more sensitive, a float fished bottom end only or a float fished top and bottom using float rubbers ? For this question presume the float is the same for both situations.

Are there any benefits to either method over the other ?

Cheers,

Joel

Not so simple I'm afraid Joel.

Both styles of attachment are for different situations.

A float attached bottom end only, will help combat surface drift, and make casting a distance easier. They are usually used on still or slow waters.

Top and bottom attachments are usually used on moving water, to enable you to hold back and slow the bait down as needed. Doing this with a bottom only float will drag it under, unless your trotting with a waggler, and then it's usually under shotted to combat this.

There are exceptions like the zoomer, a float with an antennae, but designed to be fished top and bottom, I also have some balsa floats with a thin cane insert that I attach top and bottom on moving deeper water.

The stick float that is now used almost exclusively on moving water, was (I believe) designed for use on canals when fishing with caster, by Benny Ashurst I think.

That's why there are so many types, styles and sizes of float, to cover the different situations.

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John