Budget reel for a budget 10 weight

Ken L

I'm fairly new to fly fishing and the following suggestion might be a little silly, but if salt water corrosion is such an issue why hasn't the use of carbon fibre for example been in reel bodies to prevent this?

i can fully understand the bling factor :)

Paul Singleton

MJB

I reckon you must have been boiling that Okuma in Saltwater, my Integity's still pritstine after three years use in the salt; that's including trips to the tropics and the Med, but it is an 8#.

Even if it corrodes now, which is unlikely, I have had more than my moneys worth out of it.

I must admit I've seen even some expensive Penns and Abels go bad, even if they have have been cleaned and washed with freshwater after every trip. Sometimes however I think its down to luck and a lifetime guarantee.

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

If you still doubt the benefits here's a picture of my £20 Okuma Sierra after 15 trips in the salt and my £115 Vosseler DC4 after 30 trips. Both reels have had the same post fishing care. You pays your money, you makes your choice.

Did you wash off the reel after every trip and dry it thoroughly? if you did I think you had a friday afternoon model! :(:)

Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com