Vic Bellars

Bruno Broughton

Well Guys, glad to know that Dad was so popular, He was rather a one off but although he is gone he does live on in me, his books and his teachings.

He taught me to fish, but most of all he taught me to enjoy it. He always thought about his approach leaving little to chance. If he failed to catch he would look for reasons and be better armed the next time. He always had a plan.

While some are consumed by the lure of big fish he was at times happy just fishing.

Tight lines Dad

Rick

Rick, should you read this, your thanks was appreciated.

I first met your Dad in his shop, we got so involved with talking 'pike' that he forgot to charge me, or I forgot to pay him. Either way I had to go back but that time there was a lady behind the counter so instead of talking 'pike' for another hour plus I was in and out in seconds! Next time we met I reminded him of the inadvertant event, I got the impression that he'd been told off! Did he often let 'money' walk out of the door? Or was it a tactic to get people to return? We had never met before yet it seemed that we had known each other a lifetime. He was a supremely nice man.

Peter,

Vic was better at designing tackle rather than selling it. The hard nosed business man he was not. Too honest for that. He was always happy to pass on info and mardle about the sport that we all find so enchanting.

I went trouting on Monday. The weather was dreadful. Windy, wet and cold. Really struggled then had an inspiration and tried something different. caught three fish, Best a tad under 4 lb of overwintered rainbow. I like to think that Dad still guides my hand.

It's just that now I have to catch the fish for him

Thanks to all who posted comments. Vic would have appreciated it.

Rick Bellars

I've never met your father Rick, but he sounds like a really nice chap. My deepest condolences to yourself and your family on your sad loss.

RIP Vic

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.