asp a great predator in holland

jerry weijers

Great fish !

I first heard of them in the mid 80's when Kevin ________s was catching them on the Volga Delta.

Now they seem to have spread to and be doing well in much of western Europe including Holland and Sweeden.

I'm with Phill, I want them in the Severn !!!!!

Asp is not a new inhabitant in Scandinavia (Norway and Sweden) at all; in fact, the species has been present there for over 6000 years. Asp did indeed spread to Scandinavia through the Baltic Sea more or less simultaneously to Zander, Chub and Rudd, but after having inhabited Scandinavian waterways for more than 60 millenniums I think it’s fair to describe the species as indigenous :):)

The Swedish record was caught in 1974 and stands at 7.69kg / 16.90Ib.

The Norwegian record was caught in 1987 and stands at 5.30kg / 11.65Ib.

Unfortunately, in Norway Asp has a very limited spread, as they are more or less limited to one particular water system and so as a consequence they are the only freshwater fish that are on the endangered species list.

The asp spread in 10 years trouhgt olland there are 1 or 2 spots where they not are but they will there by soon they grow very fast in holland most of the fish at 70 cm / 6 orn 7 kg are 6 years old but i think that nature control there self , time will learn

gr jerry

ps vidar do you cacth orf/ ide there in norway /sweden

And as finishing touch

god created the dutch

Interesting. Looks like just another species that we lucked out on following the ice age along with Ide, Vimba and the rest.

BTW, Why is it that the board always seems to refuse to show the name "Kevin Mad_docks" ?

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

BTW, Why is it that the board always seems to refuse to show the name "Kevin Mad_docks" ?

Ive always presumed its site owners taking precautions againts litigation! after all KM has a bit of a liking for it! :blink:

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!