Hello, everyone, new to Kayaking / fishing

mickforster

Mick

You may have to wait longer when requesting specific colours from suppliers as they don't usually carry the full range of colours for each model in stock.

That photo you've queried has me stumped:

boots101_scotland.jpg

I can't say for sure which model it is (Drifter?)

place your bets.....

Edited by SpeciMan
Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Mick

You may have to wait longer when requesting specific colours from suppliers as they don't usually carry the full range of colours for each model in stock.

That photo you've queried has me stumped:

boots101_scotland.jpg

I can't say for sure which model it is (Drifter?)

place your bets.....

Looks exactly like my P13

Noe, not a Prowler 13 - look at the stern section at the waterline. The P13 has "more air" with a cutter stern. This is a Drifter and is a huge kayak. The beam is greater than anything else in the range - for fast tides not a good choice, for carrying huge amounts of gear in calm water, fine (and by huge amounts I mean a couple of hundredweight!)

The sunrise colour - now called mango something - unless sunrise is still available. Colours change with fashions to keep models up to date. You can certainly get most of the OK range in that colour scheme - all the range you will be considering anyway.

I would actually steer you away from the Drifter for your conditions, it is a good bit heavier to paddle. Specimen has noticed the difference from the small Caper - very similar in shape - the Drifter is larger again.

The reason fatter kayaks are heavier to paddle, even if they weigh the same - is down to the route the water has to take to flow around the kayak. You push water out, which flows along the side of the kayak and then back in at the stern. A long, thin kayak pushes the water less far out and so goes through the water more easily. That is simplified, because actual wetted area also plays a part, but long slim kayaks are designed to keep the wetted area down too - even better efficiency...

It is up to you come the end, we can only provide characteristics. You have to choose. Again, the best way is to actually paddle them back to back, that way you will immediately feel the differences - and try not to let a salesman get you to do it on a flat calm lake - anything feels OK there! You could strap two planks to a couple of barrels for lake fishing!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Second vote for the Drifter :)

Like Simon has already pointed out not ideal for your neck of the woods or your build, you really need to have a paddle. I have paddled the Scupper and Prowler 13 and for shear ease of use and fishability I would go with the Prowler 13, the cockpit is much larger than the Scupper or Prowler 15, yes the Scupper is probably a bit faster and yes it is probably better in a lumpy sea, but I suspect that when it gets lumpy and the wind is up you'll be kitesurfing... am I right. :)

Scupper does have a very comfortable sitting/paddling position but I like to be able to sit side saddle when fishing unless it's winter and also like to be able to move around a bit, get my gear out of the crate without a struggle, the Scupper is a tight fit, I'm only 5ft 5in and just over 10 stone and I found it tight (33 inch waist) but then like I said I like a bit of room to manouevre :D

Paddle one before you settle on it.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Having looked again - it might be a P15 - with the bow looking forshortened by the camera angle. The stern is slightly cuttered, I am now wondering if it is a P15 sitting low in the water! The angle is misleading.

A few clues: why would anyone want to tour Skye in a Drifter? If you are touring, you are carrying a load of gear - kayak sis down in the water.....more I look and think, the more I am changing my mind to a Prowler 15. That is a different kettle of fish altogether from the Drifter.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

SM we need to put you in the SPTW in some real conditions and not a flat calm. :D

Me (SPTW) and 2 P13s went on a night session with an outward leg of 2.8 miles in a sea state officialy described as slight to occasionally moderate force 3. We had to paddle into both wind (9mph) and tide (1Kt). Not what you would call extreme. I frequently had to stop to let the P13s catch up, I was not pushng it as I knew we had a long night ahead.

SM is right the speed is not that important but the sea handling and the fact that you can for go longer on the same effort is. The SPTW isn't perfect. Seating area is smaller but at a 36 inch waist and 12.5 stone it fits me perfectly. Its true to say you dont really sit on a Scupper you tend to wear it, its snug but for all the right reasons. The tank well is smaller but the front hatch bigger.

The only reason I would buy the P13 over the SPTW is if you have storage limitations. Dont get me wrong the P13 is a great boat and I would have one tomorrow. As a second boat.

The P15 is a true rival for the SPTW it is supposed to be its replacement. Dryer ride, larger cockpit and well worth a look but still not that true something that the SPTW has when its out in the sea.

Best thing is to try them all and buy for tomorrow not for now. The SPTW will feel a little less stable but it is just as stable as the Prowlers. Its all about primary and secondary stability, lets not go there. Best to compare it to learning to ride a bike. Initialy you need to have stablises but once confident they come off and never go back on.

As Ive said before if you end up with any of the above you will be a happy bunny. Its what is best for you and the conditions you think you may be paddling in in a years time. :unsure:

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)