Hair rigged lures

Ken L

OK, so it was a daft thread title but as I understand it, a lot af game angers rig their trebles onto wire or heavy mono and then lightly tie or wire them to the body of the lure.

I can see how this sort of rig would prevent an activly jumping fish from using the body of the lure as a lever (that's why I'm considering it) but suspect that it might create it's own problems. Has anyone given it a go ? Maybe on Nasser or other nile perch venues ?

I'm particularly interested to hear whether the lures can still be cast.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Its an old technique, one I've tried, but now one I rarely use. The reason for that was that if I snagged then the hook and hair would be flying free which meant constant re fastening to the lure's body, a pain in the butt.

Snagging shouldn't be an issue 'cause I'll be fishing over sand but were there any problems casting the lure without popping the ties and was the action significantly changed ?

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I tried a hair rigged wacky worm when i was bass fishing in America last year. I put a corkscrew of wire on the end of the hair and wound the wire into the middle of the senko leaving the hook free about 3/4" above the bait. It worked fine, but had no real advantages over the normal hooking method and took much longer to re-tie if you snagged and pulled for a break.

Serves me right for trying to re-invent the wheel again!

Edited by Tim Kelly

Tim

I once hooked a bass on a ledgered lure - when I got to the beach I'd forgotten my sand eels!!! Hooked but not caught, lost it 3 meters from my feet in the kelp. :angry:

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

I think I'll just have to try it on the pike and if there are no problems, I'be taking a bunch of lure bodies and hook rigs with me on my next trip.

BoozleBear, Have you tried surf poppers when you're bass fishing with bait in daylight ?

Very popular in the southern hemisphere.

I think I'll just have to try it on the pike and if there are no problems, I'be taking a bunch of lure bodies and hook rigs with me on my next trip.

BoozleBear, Have you tried surf poppers when you're bass fishing with bait in daylight ?

Very popular in the southern hemisphere.

No Ken, I haven't. What are surf poppers?

Cheers,

Simon

www.myspace.com/boozlebear