Marine Fish

Emz

Who has them? Got some questions if I may :D

I was always under the impression that you had to keep an eye on the salt levels of the tank (by adding salt now & again) to keep marine, but I remember reading elsewhere, that someone actually just uses salt water from the sea :blink:

Just what is involved to keep marine fish?

- Emz

Find out who you live by - www.frappr.com/anfriendsmap

Check out Crystal's New Website! :)

Don't forget to sign her guestbook :D

It`s not the salt you have to replace Emz it`s the water after evaperation. The salt does not go anywhere just gets denser when the water level drops. There is a specific gravity you have to start at, this may differ slightly depending on the fishes area you are thinking of keeping but not enough I think to worry about.

It was reccomended that if you were going to use natural sea water it should be collected quite a few miles off shore to avoid any pollutants in the water.

Hopes this helps a little.

Dave

ANMC Founder Member. Always learning

I think the aquarium at the university just used to back a trailer with a big tank on it down to the sea and pump water into it! I think it was stored in the dark and aerated for some time before use, though.

People usually make it up from a commercially available salt mixture and tap water. The tank will lose water by evaporation and not salt, so needs topping up with plain water, but of course water changes need to be done with the correct salt mixture.

Edited by Steve Walker

Thanks for your replies guys :)

They sound quite tricky, I fancy the idea of having a marine tank, but as I'm always out 'n' about and not always at home, it might not be such a good idea :(

- Emz

The other worry with marine tanks is that the inhabitants tend to be much more sensitive to water quality problems. Combination of the low tolerance of the animals inside and the increased toxicity of ammonia at high pH.

We will have one at some point, my wife really wants one. No room for one in this house, though.

Guest Ferret1959

Emz, I used to keep a trop marine tank and it ran quite well but you need to keep an eye on it cos it can go down hill pdq.

Stick to freswater and go for chilids if you fancy something nice.:)

Emz, I used to keep a trop marine tank and it ran quite well but you need to keep an eye on it cos it can go down hill pdq.

Stick to freswater and go for chilids if you fancy something nice. :)

Are they community fish tho? :) I quite fancied Oscars, but you can have them in a community tank. Silver dollars are also pretty groovy, but they're nasty little buggers :headhurt:

- Emz

Guest Ferret1959

Many chiclids will live in a comunity but go for South Americans if you do, I have a few and they even get on with my cardinals. :)

Typed out a long reply to this, then the blasted computer froze whilst uploading the photo :angry:

Emma, marine fish are far harder to keep than freshwater. Water quality is paramount, that means regular water-changes, regular water testing and a large external filter to supplement undergravel filtration, the latter via powerheads. Any food has to be removed if it hasn't been eaten after 5 minutes, leaving it in the tank to decay will only cause you problems. As with freshwater fish, you have to choose the tank inhabitants carefully otherwise you'll just be providing an expensive meal for one of them. Don't let me put you off though, after all I've said, a well set up marine tank is a blaze of colour.... just very expensive to set up and keep going.

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Many chiclids will live in a comunity but go for South Americans if you do, I have a few and they even get on with my cardinals. :)
Typed out a long reply to this, then the blasted computer froze whilst uploading the photo :angry:

Emma, marine fish are far harder to keep than freshwater. Water quality is paramount, that means regular water-changes, regular water testing and a large external filter to supplement undergravel filtration, the latter via powerheads. Any food has to be removed if it hasn't been eaten after 5 minutes, leaving it in the tank to decay will only cause you problems. As with freshwater fish, you have to choose the tank inhabitants carefully otherwise you'll just be providing an expensive meal for one of them. Don't let me put you off though, after all I've said, a well set up marine tank is a blaze of colour.... just very expensive to set up and keep going.

Hmmm, probably a bit too much for me then :( Thanks for the replies, Dave I will look into getting them! cheers :thumbs:

- Emz