Ever eaten a garfish?

Salar

People also shy away from eating Scad (Horse Mackerel, which are also a good eating fish.

As for the Razorfish Dave (Captian Cojones), is spot on; Navajas al vapor or a la Plancha, wonderful.

Do not dismiss the Spanish as Stavey has done they are the best Seafood Cooks in Europe bar none

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

stavey:

I am thinking some sea anglers in this country and on this forum are getting as bad as the spanish, whats next lightly fried "rockling" or "blennys" on toast,

And your point is...?

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

Large section of Garfish on Pennel rig fantastic for BASS!!!!!!!!!!! demon demon

BassMan - The holder of Possibly Very Good Catches - Luv to fish from Yaks!!!!

Very Interesting ...

I must admit that I have always thrown Garfish back, classifying them as "useless".

Might change my mind now tho' .....

AN on the ball .. again . :D:D

The Older I get .. The better I was.

Gars also lovely on toast with chilli sauce!!!!!!!! The hotter the better...... demon demon demon demon

PS...

:mad: The Garfish is one of the oldest fish in the sea at approx 1 Million Years old!!!!! :P:P:P

JUST 4 interest...........

[ 19. May 2005, 06:20 PM: Message edited by: MainBassMan ]

Newt:

LOL.  Salar, I'm glad the recipe worked for you.  The cajun folk use freshwater gar though.  I guess the meat is similar.

One rather strange thing in the recipe - they said to use an axe rather than a knife to fillet the gar. I assume they have thicker armour plating than our wussy garfish!

[ 19. May 2005, 09:07 PM: Message edited by: Salar ]

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

Dat dey do Salar. Dull a knife blade in a hurry.

Although once you have the skin/hide opened up you can use a knife on the meat.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

captain cojones:

the thing you really need to try is razorfish.

My old marine biology lecturer told me they were fantastic sauteed in a bit of olive oil. This was in the minibus on the way back from a field trip, where we'd caught loads of them. He could have mentioned it earlier...