Same picture three ways

nursejudy

I would like some advice on cleaning lenses to, a professional photographer once told me that a far better option was to protect the lens with a filter rather than cleaning them too much. Apparently cleaning damages the coatings that are put on the lenses.

I was told this many years ago. I use a lens cleaning cloth, feels like chamie leather when I use it but is actually a cloth of some kind? However the trick is a UV or sky filter to protect the lens, Just bought a 67mm for my new Nikon 18-70, cost £20, but when it needs a clean I take it off, and wash it in warm water and Fairy Liquid, a gentle dry with a face tissue and finish with the lens cloth. The other advantage to a filter is that if you bang the lens glass, only a £20 filter gets damaged.

The same treatment for my specs., dont bother with a lens cloth finish.

This may not work for fixed lens cameras, they dont usually have filter threads, although I have seen push on types??? Otherwise careful use with the lens cloth, special cleaning fluids are available, had no experience with these. Seen 'lens tissues' as well, again no experience.

:ph34r:

As I understand it, one of the principles of good scenic photo's is to try & arrrange the shot using thirds, which cj's crop seems to have done ie the sky now accounts for a third.

Think you will find it was 'Tack4' who actualy did the crop, although I generaly agee with what he has don it. Some Nikon SLR cameras have the facility in their 'option menue' of a 'thirds grid' horizontal and vertical, visable through the viewfinder. I find it very usefull, as an aid to composition and getting horizons level, especialy on a r&r boat!

Edited by CJS2

Its interesting to look at the finer points of the composition of the three photos. I prefer the atmosphere of the B&W, however the foreground and sea (three different seas) are better presented I think in the colour version, very '50's post card', both need the sky cropping. I also think the extra foreground (uncroped) leads the eye better?? Just a personal view.

Think you will find it was 'Tack4' who actualy did the crop, although I generaly agee with what he has don it. Some Nikon SLR cameras have the facility in their 'option menue' of a 'thirds grid' horizontal and vertical, visable through the viewfinder. I find it very usefull, as an aid to composition and getting horizons level, especialy on a r&r boat!

Whoops, apologies Tack4

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

I prefer the colour one but I seem to be the only one, which one do you prefer Judy?

As for cleaning 'inside' cameras which you may end up having to do if sand or grit has got in there, which has happened with our camera, it is costly and risks damaging the camera further so the filter sounds like the smartest move for sure. Too late for us though. We have been told about a spray can with a fine tube that expels a burst of air into the camera to blast out any grit but we can't find it or anyone who knows what we are talking about. Has anyone heard of this?

I hate getting up early, I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!

Guest CJS2
I prefer the colour one but I seem to be the only one, which one do you prefer Judy?

As for cleaning 'inside' cameras which you may end up having to do if sand or grit has got in there, which has happened with our camera, it is costly and risks damaging the camera further so the filter sounds like the smartest move for sure. Too late for us though. We have been told about a spray can with a fine tube that expels a burst of air into the camera to blast out any grit but we can't find it or anyone who knows what we are talking about. Has anyone heard of this?

'TubularBelle' Perhaps those that like the B&W are all old f**ts like me :lol: It reminds me of the good old days?

'Air Duster', They are avaliable in Photo Shops in the UK, I think 'Radio Spares' do one as well, There is also an air vacume systen that works with an air canister, dont know how it works, and it is expensive at about £60.

and http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009R69...glance&n=502394

CJS2

Edited by CJS2

Thanks Cliff, we were under the impression it was made for some other purpose and were looking for it in hardware stores but now we will go to a Camera Shop. Thanks for that.

I hate getting up early, I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!

I prefer the colour one but I seem to be the only one

Yep, colour one for me also. I think the other two take something away from the image when you can't see the colour of the fields & sea.

It looks a grand place Judy.