Boxing Day Predators

The Flying Tench

I think the answer is indifference John. I have worked on drifters and when we scudded the nets thousands of fish would lie in the dill gasping for breath. Our only practical reaction was one of indifference, for how could it be otherwise?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John, I've always been told to avoid arguing about politics and religion. It's advice I have ignored. So, if you don't mind, I'll stray to religion...

As a priest, I assume you have signed up to the human ascendancy bit that I believe is a basic building block of Christianity?

Many years ago, when I used to date a girl whose parents lived in the grounds of Belvoir Castle, I got to know the local parson, a family friend, who was a keen hunter. And he was supremely at peace with himself because he reckoned the Bible said it was okay. (as an aside, he was also an immensely likeable and unpretentious man who enjoyed a pint of real ale and a glass of port, took a geat interest in fishing and the countryside and had a hearty sense of humour. ).

So, my question John is this: has that "human ascendancy" bit been wiped from The Book? And if not, why are you asking us rather than advising us? I thought the latter was part of the job description?

Fenboy

And another thing...

The whole hunting issue is flawed by townie emotion, where the welfare of the creature(s) concerned gets mixed up with hatred for the participants.

What's worse for the fox? Getting hunted by hounds or gassed as a pest? Not a lot of difference, I'd wager. In fact if the fox had the wit to decide for itself, I'd wager it would opt for the hounds and the chance of outwitting them.

And so to the fishing. In Germany apparently it's wrong to catch and return fish but okay to catch and kill them. To the eyes of the PC, the former is done for enjoyment, therefore it's wrong.

Has anybody bothered to ask the fish?

"Tell me, Mr Fish. What would you prefer - (A) to be hooked, landed and returned or (B) hooked, landed and smashed on the head?

"Did you say B? Are you sure?"

You see, these anti-country laws have less to do with animal welfare than class warfare. You mustn't be seen to be enjoying yourself under the new Dictat.

But you ain't seen nothing yet. New Labour have yet to make their impact.

Fenboy

Fen my coment about the drinking was more to do with the fact that most hunts are regarded as more of a social event even by the participents than a blood sport.Although I did have the displeasure of seeing a drunken rider lose control of his horse and cause a nasty accident which resulted in a passing car driver and the horse being hurt.

As for the buisness of banning anything and the "nanny" state my feelings these days are that despite my personal dislike of hunting with hounds my dislike of people telling others what they can and cant do purely for the "control factor" is far stronger.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

BUDGIE:

BUDGIE:

erm but doesn't this classift as non-fisting chat?

Mr Mathew,I dont think we should really be discussing this subject on any of AN's forums! :D:D:o
Erm then again maybe the carp boys have to do something to keep themselves warm during these cold winter nights.............

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Mr Matthew, you say:

I do think there is an element of class war in banning hunting but personally I think its nice to see the glove on the other hand - usually its the establishment trying to ban or regulate something the general population enjoy......

So, why's it nice to see "the glove on the other hand"? Spite? Getting one over on the other side? That's hardly the basis for law-making, I'd suggest...

Get real. This Government is systematically banning things other people enjoy. Angling won't be next, but it will be on the agenda within my lifetime. Don't gloat over "toffs" or "the establishment" getting their comeupance from "working class heroes".

Blair went to public school. He's a barrister, so's his missus. They're not of common stock.

Look at the bigger picture. New Labour are control freaks who want everybody to conform to their very narrow, very urban, point of view. ANgling simply doesn't fit in.

Get real.

Fenboy

Well let's forget about Townies versus Country people. I used to be undecided but quickly went anti when the hunters looked down their noses at the man trying to suggest a compromise of a drag hunt.. They then said the hunt was the only way to keep the fox numbers down and when this was shown not to be the case they then said that hunting WASN'T interfering with the fox, and so should be allowed.

They then said shooting foxes was WRONG as if somebody wounded a fox, the poor thing would suffer - This was funny coming from a group that allow a fox to be torn limb from limb by hounds while still alive (and the wish THAT film would disappear as well!!) and chase a fox for miles, lose it and allow it to die from exhaustion!!!

If the pro hunt lobby can JUSTIFY this overt cruelty in a calm manner, instead of shouting the "townies" (which is what they call all anti's whether true or not!) down, thet MAY get further than they are now.

And all this bravado about carrying on when the law comes into place makes it worse! That means that all huntsmen willing to defy the law are criminals!

[ 28. December 2004, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: kleinboet ]

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription