Strange Captures

Gillies

I'm wondering what is the strangest way people have, or have ever seen a fish been caught?

I remember fishing one day of the boat, and the guy next to me was jigging a pirk and he caught a Mackerel half way up his line. He could not understand it ... on closer inspection his mono line had somehow bowed and lasooed around the head of the Mackerel ... one of the strangest things I've ever seen at sea.

I'm sure this has been asked before, before I joined the forum ... but I'm curious. :)

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiya,

Over the years I've seen a few strange sights, I've lassoed Mackerel, Lsd and a 25lb conger (that was fun), caught mackerel on weights, they eat the weight and it falls out the gill cover. With that aside the strangest one is catching a mackerel on a single snaplink swivel which was connected perfectly round the mackerel's top jaw and it still baffles me to this day as to how it could have happened especially when there had been a set of feathers connected to it when it went down but had vanished when I brought the mackerel up.

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Hi Davy

The conger catch must of been fun !!!!!

Mackerel catch is a cracker .... how it got the feathers of, must of been really baffling when the snaplink came up with no feathers ... maybe just a very intellegent Mackerel.

Ive seen my friend catching a Salmon by accidentally lassoeing it .... to this day, he still claims he was trying it !!!!!

Gillies :)

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

Originally posted by Gillies:

Hi Davy

The conger catch must of been fun !!!!!

Yup it was that... and boy was it anoyed ;-)

Mackerel catch is a cracker .... how it got the feathers of, must of been really baffling when the snaplink came up with no feathers ... maybe just a very intellegent Mackerel.

To be honest if I haddnt seen it myself I would have never believed it could happen

Ive seen my friend catching a Salmon by accidentally lassoeing it .... to this day, he still claims he was trying it !!!!!

I alos had a 6lbe Sea trout, some one had already lost it and it was swimming about with a short trace with a very small swivel on it... my size 14 hook hooked through the eye of the swivel... jammy or what :)

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

i caught 2 bass 2-3 lbs in 6 inches of water, about 2ft from the waters edge straight down from the pontoon i was on at the weekend, i didnt even reel in, just dragged them up the beach :D ...wasn't much of a fight, but it was amusing as my m8's were just getting small flounder

I remember donkey's years ago we were out in Liscannor Bay on a small OSM 14' open boat and hit a shoal of mackerel on the surface. We were trolling two hand lines miles behind with 2 lbs of lead on the end so my friend's dad stopped the engine and dipped a bucket in the water and scooped up a couple of loads of mackerel and whitebait! Pretty memorable to a 10 year old!

Kieran Hanrahan

Catch this release... www.sea-angling-ireland.org

To catch a Bass in any depth of water I would be happy ... they are not to common around my parts of the country, must of been great to catch them in such shallow water! Bet your mates were VERY jealous.

One technique I use to catch Pollack from the shore is on calm nights when the tide is out, and casting into shallow water is using one of these cigar floats as a lure, sticking a treble hook at either end, and a bullet weight to give it some weight for casting ... and casting it over the top of the semi-submerged kelp and retrieving it slowly over the surface ... my friends used to laugh at me, but it has proved itself time and time again, and is kind of exciting when you see the Pollack attack it on the surface. :)

To bad ... fish aren't so abundant any more that they can be caught in a bucket, must of been a sight to behold at that age. I remember one summer when I was a kid, catching Mackerel with our hands by chasing them ashore when they had caught themselves in a shallow area of water chasing sandeels.

Gillies

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

I caught a bat once on the Norfolk Broads. Coarse fishing of course... floatfishing with maggots at night. It snatched them out of the air on a cast and flew around in ever decreasing circles until finally it met the rod tip.

i have caught a bat in the same way :) also a swift (or one of the others) on maggot ,strange little things put them on your hand and you cant feel it its so light

a duck gave a real screamer fishing at night on floating crust ,the line going straight up into the air gave it away :D

all the above were released unharmed ,the bat was caught in the wing ,i think they knock their prey towards their mouth in this manner :)

a submeged brolly gave the best fight though ,it definatly felt like a fish and gave several runs for freedom :)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson