No decent fish in the Med?

Dan

Captain, you still out there, remember our post about the size of the fish for sale in the Costa Blanca, I was in Calpe there the other day having lunch down by the harbour (I was eating Octopus tappas if you were wondering!)and saw a trawler come in and took this snap, no messing its all I saw, Kind of proves my point?! there may be better fishing to be had but this trawler wasnt getting any!

Posted Image

dan

[ 29. July 2004, 09:26 PM: Message edited by: Dan ]

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

Dan.

I think we can all see the pic?

As hard as I try, I can only make out half a dozen tiddlers.

I think there must be another reason for them sitting around that pile?

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

hi dan, long time no see,how long do you think that these boats would be working for if that was all they caught!?! who knows, maybe the other fish were boxed, or indeed they had a bad day. the small stuff like that is sold in the markets to make stock for paella.a lot of the boats are fishing for dorada at the moment, you may have seen on the menu in calpe, dorada a la sal...literally a whole fish, encased in rock salt and baked in an oven. well nice! anyway hope you had a great holiday. best wishes. :D

I cant see my own pic :(!! Any suggestions as to why not?

Seriously they had just emptied the trawl and were sorting out what to put in the boxes to sell in the market on the quay, there were other trawlers with similiar pityful catches, most of the boxes ended up with fish no bigger than 6" long or with small crabs in (the sort of size we'd use as peelers) It was sorry sight.

captain cojones:

hi dan, long time no see,how long do you think that these boats would be working for if that was all they caught!?!    :D  

Erm....Eu subsidies?!!

Honestly the market wasnt a lot better the only fish I'd have kept were a few Red Mullet and some bass from a stall rather than the boxes from the boats, but theres a big fish farm off Altea and not sure what they sell,

The Dorada sound good but didnt see any on display or the menu, it was mostly imported shell fish, white bait, squid, Oct, sardines and them soley things (megrim?)

Dan

dan

dan, the fish farms you see, like the one at altea are for dorada as well.the octopus, calamar, etc are caught at night, the next time you are there , look in the harbour at altea, and you will see the boats with the huge lights on the stern. :cool:

captain cojones:

the next time you are there , look in the harbour at altea, and you will see the boats with the huge lights on the stern.    :cool:  

Yep seen them! I'm a frequent Med visitor with Family in Greece and formerly in Spain (Flat for sale in Calpe if anyones interested!) and still remain to be convinced that fish stocks in the med arent dangerously low, just as they are here as it happens.

I could also see great lines of trawlers on the horizon at night what are they up to? pair trawling?

dan