UK Knife Regulations

Newt

This is basically fishing related so posting the question here.

I would prefer to spend my time in the UK fishing and visiting rather than inside a jail cell so I want to stay within local regulations.

What are the blade length requirements for folding and fixed blade knives? Also, are there any other 'carry' rules I should be aware of?

My best folding fishing knife (cutting blade, hook remover, hook sharpener on the outside of the handle) has a 3.5" blade but I do have smaller ones if this would be too large.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's sheathed/folded and packed amongst your fishing gear, you have nothing to worry about. Carrying knives, like many other weapons/tools, is about reason and intent.

Edited by Andy Macfarlane

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I always carry the folding knife in my pocket Andy. Otherwise I can never lay hands on the thing when I need it.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

The chances of you having your pockets felt, are pretty much nil Newt. Just don't carry one when you're not actually fishing/going fishing and you have little to worry about.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

The law on Knives as in all things 'British' says.......... "without lawful Authority or reasonable excuse"

Recently I went into a Govt. Building and, on being challenged gave up my lock knife with a 1.5 inch blade to the security man.

Sitting in the building I was then approached by a Police Officer who produced the 'blade' and said " was this found in your possesion?"

I replied "No, It is mine and was in my pocket when I came through the security screen, but I gave it up when asked if I had any sharp objects in my posession"

He then went on to point out that the 'blade' I was carrying was a 'prohibited weapon' as it was a lock knife and that he would "speak to me later" about it.

Later, he gave me the knife back and apologised for the trouble as I pointed out that it was in my fishing coat which I was wearing in the Court Room.

DO NOT ALLOW YOURSELF TO BE AN EASY STATISTIC.

If you have a knife and have it in your posession for a 'lawful purpose' you are entitled to carry it.

Remember despite what has been said, and despite the laws that our "Working Man's" Party have put in place the basic concept of law in this Country is that a person is innocent until proven guilty.

Yes, I have a knife in my pocket, but do you think I am about to rob a bank carrying 1.5 kilos of frozen squid and a 13 ft beachcaster :blink:

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

Thanks gents. I think that answers me perfectly.

The law on Knives as in all things 'British' says.......... "without lawful Authority or reasonable excuse"

Recently I went into a Govt. Building and, on being challenged gave up my lock knife with a 1.5 inch blade to the security man.

Sitting in the building I was then approached by a Police Officer who produced the 'blade' and said " was this found in your possesion?"

I replied "No, It is mine and was in my pocket when I came through the security screen, but I gave it up when asked if I had any sharp objects in my posession"

He then went on to point out that the 'blade' I was carrying was a 'prohibited weapon' as it was a lock knife and that he would "speak to me later" about it.

Later, he gave me the knife back and apologised for the trouble as I pointed out that it was in my fishing coat which I was wearing in the Court Room.

DO NOT ALLOW YOURSELF TO BE AN EASY STATISTIC.

If you have a knife and have it in your posession for a 'lawful purpose' you are entitled to carry it.

Remember despite what has been said, and despite the laws that our "Working Man's" Party have put in place the basic concept of law in this Country is that a person is innocent until proven guilty.

Yes, I have a knife in my pocket, but do you think I am about to rob a bank carrying 1.5 kilos of frozen squid and a 13 ft beachcaster :blink:

There, there, Huge. Your attack of Galloping Paranoia (not to menton Put-Upon By The PC) MIGHT just better in the morning.

Yours truly,

A Still-Unarmed British Citizen

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

A Still-Unarmed British Citizen

Errr Paul - I think that many of us consider a knife as a tool rather than as a weapon in many instances.

Have you not had occasion during your life to carry an item that you intend as a tool but that could be used as a weapon if you were so inclined? A stick, a garden hoe, a fishing knife, a bank stick?

oi oi

i went into court where i was told empty your pockets & walk through a metal detector, i had a small penknife on my car keyring verry small with a davy lamp on from the killamarsh c.b. club years ago, but when i took said keys from pocket my god i thought they found a machetty on there i had to sighn it in & back out afterwards after a long lecture from the old bill. (i thought i was going to be arrested)

:headhurt::headhurt::headhurt:

BILL.........nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit,

ENGLAND & ST GEORGE, C,MON

BRUMMIE IN EXSILE..........yo aint sin me roite

Errr Paul - I think that many of us consider a knife as a tool rather than as a weapon in many instances.

Have you not had occasion during your life to carry an item that you intend as a tool but that could be used as a weapon if you were so inclined? A stick, a garden hoe, a fishing knife, a bank stick?

Oh yes.

On my desk in front of me (as it happens) a 4-inch 'Buck' lock-knife (the gift of a North Carolina lad, the nephew of a British neighbour of mine, that my girl and I took fishing here in Britain over 20 years ago). Plus the Woosy couple of Swiss Army Knifes (one of which I use often for domestic jobs - oh yes, that's on my desk, too).

Then there were the "panga"s and machetes I used pretty well daily as a survival tool during lengthy travels in the forests of Central Africa and South America...

I just know WHEN to leave such blades at home (and when not to make some political issue of them).

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.