I love canals but....

BoozleBear

A couple of hints - :)

If possible fish the evenings into the night, boats shouldn't navigate after sunset so if you see one take their registration and report them. I've also found over the years that carp will "come alive" at night when boat traffic has ceased and all is quiet.

If you can't fish after dark for whatever reason and still want to fish 2 rods, as a boat comes past grab your rod butts and hold them so the rod tips are under the water and touching the bottom, this keeps your line underneath the boats and although you may feel a bit of pull from the current your hookbaits should remain where you put them.

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

David,

Chill out, I wasnt even replying to you.

its just that to me the canal system is for everybody, and Anglers have enough bad press at the moment without generating more for ourselves.

yes, stressful last few days, sorry to take it out on you mate.

im going down to the beach in abit, do abit of fishing to calm me down. may only catch a few dogfish, but its better than being stuck inside.

maybe i ought to take a step away from angling politics, and do more of the actual fishing.

Edited by david t

ive never fished a canal because were i live the local canal attracts gangs with pellet guns

Wow, i,ve never caught one of them. :blink:

:D;)

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

Most people that us ethe GUC where I fish are polite and friendly, mostly the problem is with day trippers hiring narrow boats for the day. I had an experience last week, I was fishing two rods, I had a fish on one and was attempting, successfully in the end, to land it. unfortunately I was facing the wrong way from a boat coming up the canal, Being somewhat mutt and jeff, I didn't hear him. He could see that I had rods out and that I was playing a fish, he just didn't bother to slow down, hoot or anything, just ploughed straight through my line nearly taking my rod with him, luckily I managed to grab it and hold it one handed until the line broke, you should have seen the look I got for possibly fouling his prop with my 4 lb line, I was dirt. Luckily i had the fish I was playing on the towpath side of the water by then and landed a very nice 2 lb perch.

A tip, don't rely on poking your rod in the water even down on the bottom to allow boats to pass, the water is less than 4ft deep where I fish and if you are on the far shelf with a feeder you will just staddle the channel and will often lose your terminal tackle when it gets either picked up by the boat or the undertow.

:angry:

think you got it bad try up my end "spears warf and beyond" buckfast bottles glasgow angling center bags and old microwavable maggot tubs, miles of fishing line, and the area with or used to have good carp and pike in is used as a public toilet for peoples dogs cant sit anywhere without having dog crap 5 feet away from you

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Just deleted the last seven posts from this thread as they were merely descending into childish name-calling. If you don't have anything positive to add to this or any other thread, then don't bother posting to them :nono:

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.