Begginners Fly fishing kit

CYNSWIM

I bought a 50 quid kit from my local tackle shop. This included a bunch of flies, line, leader, reel and rod. Basically you bought it and then went fly fishing.

The reel is so unimportant the quality becomes immaterial. However the rod is important. The qualified geezas who taught me to cast said that they thought my rod was very good... and this before I told them the price of the kit. I'm still using the line two seasons later... so it can't be bad either.

Needless to say it was made in China... I think it might have Shakespeare printed on it somewhere (though god knows what he had to do with it). :-)

MC

But i don't have any local flyfishing shops or fishing shops near me.

Cyn

Hi

What sort of fly fishing will you be doing,IE

reservoirs,small stillwaters or rivers?

Reels need not be state of the art affairs,you can always upgrade later.IMHO the Shakespeare Alpha reel-cheap as chips :D is a damn good reel and as good as some far more expensive.I used one for a few years and it was fine.Lines can be a minefield,so many on the market.If you go for a floater,make sure its not an Airflo-they are horrid :o .

Shakespeare Worcsteshire lines are as good as any,not overly cheap but they can be picked up for less than the rrp.

Rods vary enormously,from total c##p to very good.Really a personal thing,you would be better to try one out if possible.If not then go for a middle to tip action,they are far more forgiving than a fast actioned rod.

If you have a birthday comming up :D Total Flyfisher magazine are offering either a rod(5/6 weight) or rod and reel,depending on which subscription you take out.I have one of the rods,a 7 weight and its a decent rod.

Also dual rated rods-ie 5/6 will nearly always perform better with the higher line rating.Infact i have just brought a cheapo on ebay,travel rod five piece,5/6,just to sling in a suitcase for holidays.Now having tried it,its fine but casts much better with a seven than a 6 weight line,infact i doubt very much if it would perform with a 5 weight line.Personally,if you can get a rod with a single rating,you would be better off-just my opinion though.

If you need a reasonable line or any other info,pm me i can put you in touch with a new line supplier whom i can vouch for as being reliable.

good luck

Edited by chuby

Hi

What sort of fly fishing will you be doing,IE

reservoirs,small stillwaters or rivers?

Reels need not be state of the art affairs,you can always upgrade later.IMHO the Shakespeare Alpha reel-cheap as chips :D is a damn good reel and as good as some far more expensive.I used one for a few years and it was fine.Lines can be a minefield,so many on the market.If you go for a floater,make sure its not an Airflo-they are horrid :o .

Shakespeare Worcsteshire lines are as good as any,not overly cheap but they can be picked up for less than the rrp.

Rods vary enormously,from total c##p to very good.Really a personal thing,you would be better to try one out if possible.If not then go for a middle to tip action,they are far more forgiving than a fast actioned rod.

If you have a birthday comming up :D Total Flyfisher magazine are offering either a rod(5/6 weight) or rod and reel,depending on which subscription you take out.I have one of the rods,a 7 weight and its a decent rod.

Also dual rated rods-ie 5/6 will nearly always perform better with the higher line rating.Infact i have just brought a cheapo on ebay,travel rod five piece,5/6,just to sling in a suitcase for holidays.Now having tried it,its fine but casts much better with a seven than a 6 weight line,infact i doubt very much if it would perform with a 5 weight line.Personally,if you can get a rod with a single rating,you would be better off-just my opinion though.

If you need a reasonable line or any other info,pm me i can put you in touch with a new line supplier whom i can vouch for as being reliable.

good luck

Thanks m8. My birthday is in April so Christmas is the nearest.lol :) I don't have a clue what rods are best, but i'll be doing river fly fishing because I live 3 mins away from the River Usk! Could you send me a link to a rod or full kit on a website so that my parents will know which one to get rather than them buying a random one.

Thanks very much again Chub!!

Cyn :P

Cyn

• 4 weeks later...

Allo

I was quoted 78 quid for a starter set and mentioned this when I was in McHardy's in Carlisle (they're working on a website atm, just not all up yet) and they built a set, 9ft rod (Shakespeare Odyssey), reel, line, backing, leader, 10 flies (wet n dry, suited to where I'm fishing, apparently...bloomin' hope so) - all for 65 quid (and pence), and all good stuff too