Knots for flourocarbon

Anderoo

If only happy with a palomar, remove the spool and pass this through the loop .

LOL

You will need some very big rod-rings to get the spool through ! :fishing:

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Not sure, I've just tried it and the knot does work but it doesn't seem right that it's a palomar. I'm certain that tying a swivel equipped leader to the braid will need the end tackle to be passed through the braid loop for a legit knot but if the swivel is already attached to the braid can the same knot be achieved by passing the fluoro through? Vagabond will know.

In theory you could pass the end through the swivel eye once, then tie "half a palomar" then loop the line and retrace the other half of the palomar around the "half knot" including back through the swivel eye - but don't try that at home :nono: !!

I hope you all have the spatial awareness to realise that that way madness lies :crazy: - in practical terms it would be impossible.

As I posted earlier on the zander thread, I tied a very small swivel to the fluorocarbon trace using a palomar and used a six-turn grinner to attach main line (10 lb PowerPro) to other end of swivel. No problems, as that grinner is the only knot you need to tie in the boat if like me, you have prepared several stinger-equipped shads with leaders already attached.

Can't understand why the grinner is mistrusted for fluorocarbon. When using fluoro for the first time I tied several seven-turn grinners and tested them with a force well exceeding that of any zander - never had any slip PROVIDED they were VERY carefully snugged down with plenty of spit - OK, I tied them at home, not in a winter gale in a boat. I used the seven-turn grinner for attaching leader to jig having attached the stingers first - it was another situation where the palomar would be too much hassle.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Ok, I am terrible at drawing, and I've drawn it with two turns, which I don't think I actually do, but I can't see how the end result differs apart from the direction of the twist in the line?

91B68587-93A7-40AA-8BBA-AF4E8FD7DD54_zps

Since I assumed that semi intelligent people were reading this I did not think I would have to explain that the rod would have to be re threaded , a new leader is being attached , or am I the stupid one ?

Yes I got what you meant John, the connecting swivel is small enough to be threaded through the rings so this is actually rather a cunning suggestion!

I'm still having trouble visualising Rusty/Steve's knot mechanics?

I think heavier flouro is more forgiving than light flouro, and good quality flouro more forgiving than poor quality - so I suspect that 13lb Seaguar would be fine with a grinner. But I hate that niggling feeling that something might go snap at any moment, especially as you have to strike hard. It's not the knot slipping I'm worried about, it's that it might shatter on a hard strike. With the grinner, the bit of line above the knot looks 'pinched' where it's been snugged down, and looks to me like it might be a weak spot.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

The doubled over line has to pass through the loop, and we normally do it by putting the hook/swivel end through first - but why couldn't we put the opposite end through?

So you get to this stage;

E9506DEC-A67D-4BC5-A0EA-5FDB64123371_zps

That loop of line needs to go over the doubled line. Normally you would take the hook end and pass it through the loop like this;

9F76E659-1737-471D-9766-8FD7007F9B15_zps

But we can't do that, because it's attached to a rod. So what if we pass it the other way round the line like this?

A3FAA86A-4DF2-45F8-9769-1C1F9BFD1BE4_zps

Which gets us to here - which is just the same as if we had put the loop over the hook end, no, save for the twist in the loop?

702936B8-DE5E-432F-AE54-CD4DB136C03C_zps

Ah OK, I think I get it now, thanks Steve. Worth trying and testing to destruction! All I have to hand right now is paperclips and cut up elastic bands so hard to try it properly...!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music