Oxlease or Brasnose

Polly

Gonna go have a crack at one or other of these on 26th May. Taking my mate Grant to try and get him his first 20 before he departs these shores to go live in Oz. I've never been near the place let alone fished there but from what I've read it's gotta be his best chance of a 20. Need as much in the way of help, tips and info as possible if I'm gonna put him on a few fish. It's the best leaving pressie I can think of.

Best pegs (preferably doubles)????? assuming we get there early enough to choose.

Best baits, methods etc etc etc.

I realise I'm always on here cadging information but this one really is not for me, just wanna see Grant's face if he puts a 20 on the mat,

One good reason to do something is better than a thousand bad excuses not to.

Can't offer a great deal of help about Brasnose 'cus i've never fished it. :D

There are a couple of double pegs on Oxlease but you may have to be exremely lucky to get onto them, as with any peg on there actually. :wallbash:

I was told that the best tactic is "not" to put loads and loads of bait out as it's so presurised and everyone seems to do it.

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

Gonna go have a crack at one or other of these on 26th May. Taking my mate Grant to try and get him his first 20 before he departs these shores to go live in Oz. I've never been near the place let alone fished there but from what I've read it's gotta be his best chance of a 20. Need as much in the way of help, tips and info as possible if I'm gonna put him on a few fish. It's the best leaving pressie I can think of.

Best pegs (preferably doubles)????? assuming we get there early enough to choose.

Best baits, methods etc etc etc.

I realise I'm always on here cadging information but this one really is not for me, just wanna see Grant's face if he puts a 20 on the mat,

I fished brasenose on tuesday,with a couple of friends . We bagged up BIG time ,between 30 and 40 fish each trouble is there was nothing bigger than 17 lbs -you;ve got to keep the feed going in all the time.[we used sweetcorn and 6mm pellets ] not a cheap day out by any means, late evening we had run out of loose feed--no more fish !

I fished brasenose on tuesday,with a couple of friends . We bagged up BIG time ,between 30 and 40 fish each trouble is there was nothing bigger than 17 lbs -you;ve got to keep the feed going in all the time.[we used sweetcorn and 6mm pellets ] not a cheap day out by any means, late evening we had run out of loose feed--no more fish !

Does it get as busy as Oxlease carpie?

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

How do you get the loose feed in? is it "SPODSVILLE" with constant splashing all over the lake?

That's a bank holiday w/e so it will one of the busiest times of the year. If you're going on the Fri then get there first thing in the morning otherwise swim choice is going to be even more restricted.

Rob.

That's a bank holiday w/e so it will one of the busiest times of the year. If you're going on the Fri then get there first thing in the morning otherwise swim choice is going to be even more restricted.

Rob.

We figured as much and intend leaving Cambridge @ 2:30 - 3:00am. Should take 2 and a bit hours so hoping to arrive around 5:00am. We might even set sail Thursday night and sleep in car.

Really unsure about this cos I HATE busy waters but it's the only place I can come up with where Grant stands a fair to middling chance of his first twenty, unless of course, someone can point me in the direction of a better (QUIETER) venue and preferably a litttle closer to home.

• 2 weeks later...
How do you get the loose feed in? is it "SPODSVILLE" with constant splashing all over the lake?

Any tips or best pegs???? would prefer a double peg if possible.

:schmoll: Well, it was always on the cards, "blanked" again, as did Grant. Neither of us had so much as a sniff but were not alone. Two guys who packed up a coouple of hours after we arrived spent THREE days on Oxlease without a single fish to their SIX rods. Lovely lake but carp were just not 'avin it. Head bailif said fish were moving about and unsettled and one of the previously mentioned "blankers" said on Thursday the water in front of them was black with fish all afternoon but no runs followed!!!! I reckon they could be thinking about spawning, at least that's my excuse for blanking on this so-called "prolific runs water".

We did see a nice 27lb-er landed as we left which was a bonus, sad thing was it was hooked just 50-60yrds from were we'd had our baits !!!!!!!

:schmoll: Well, it was always on the cards, "blanked" again, as did Grant. Neither of us had so much as a sniff but were not alone. Two guys who packed up a coouple of hours after we arrived spent THREE days on Oxlease without a single fish to their SIX rods. Lovely lake but carp were just not 'avin it. Head bailif said fish were moving about and unsettled and one of the previously mentioned "blankers" said on Thursday the water in front of them was black with fish all afternoon but no runs followed!!!! I reckon they could be thinking about spawning, at least that's my excuse for blanking on this so-called "prolific runs water".

We did see a nice 27lb-er landed as we left which was a bonus, sad thing was it was hooked just 50-60yrds from were we'd had our baits !!!!!!!

Could well be spawning time for them, same at a lot of places at the moment, water is heaving with carp, but not having it, they got other things on there mind and they could be a bit late spawning as weather has took a while to warm up and is still not settled.

How you getting on up the Woolpack these days Polly? is it worth me giving it another try yet....