Anyone fished at Arrochar ?

Snatcher

Going there this weekend on one of these coach trips,me and the good lady. We will be staying in Arrochar itself at the eastern end of Loch Long.

Is it worth my while "smuggling" a telescopic rod and a few lures with me Bearing in mind I will not have a car and my time will be very limited!

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest NickInTheNorth

Not me! But I've been to a cracking little pub there, it was so good I can't remember what it's called!!

I suspect Davy Holt probably has, but as he's away in a foreign country fishing for exotic species at the moment he won't be replying before the weekend!

Orca may take pity on you and ask him for his input, then again she may not!

Yep you're right there Nick Davy spent years from when he was a kid fishing at Arrochar, he will be phoning me tonight will update you as soon as i speak to him, his sister lives there too

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Talk of the Devil and its sure to phone :D ...... Davy says it IS worth sneaking a rod with you Snatcher. The best spot is the rocks either side of Ardmay House, facing the caravan site. there is a chance of Pollok, Wrasse, Mackerel and the odd conger. Hope this helps Snatcher.

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Looks like I will be a smuggler then

Cheers Orca,Davy and Nick :):)

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

have caught mackerel, pollack, coalfish, and what im sure are wrasse. there are also conger and cod.

a big beast (cod i think) swam by my float the other day. beware of the weed and rocks down there tho.

would ave prolly been down there and could have pointed you in the direction decent rocks, but im going through to edinburgh i think.

Cheers Jim and welcome to AN. Will report back on this thread if I get fishing and indeed catch anything!

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Question Orca. Found Ardmay in relation to Arrochar on an internet search but there was no indication of scale/distance.

Any idea how far it is between the two/how long it may take to walk it. Also is the town stretch not worth bothering with?

Cheers

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Snatcher,

I wouldnt bother smuggling your spinning rod as you are not taking your car and are tight on time, the main area worth fishing is the caves and they are around two to three miles from the arrochar hotel, I've walked it and it takes some time. You could always hire a small boat from Tony Wass for a half day his prices are pretty good and you'd have some good sport with pollack and maybe some mackies...... But the standard of fishing is in general pretty poor in comparison with the Mull of Godsway em Galloway. If you must fish from the shore then take some raggies or collect some green crabs or mussels at low tide as I've had some pretty great wrasse fishing from the caves on sliding float.....

re the town stretch, never fished it or seen anyone fish it, but it's shallow and wouldn't be worth while with spinning gear.

Hope this helps

D

We're gonna need a bigger boat!