Bait Caster....

Geo

And only £650 up front and an eight week delivery time.

I suspect that your £650 up front payment is paying for the thing to be made so how secure a transaction is that

60 casts from a bottle of compressed air - Does any one have a scooby on what it costs to fill a bottle with compressed air?

I wonder how many of these will actually be seen on the beaches?

£650 IS a lot of money but there are a lot of rods that are VERY expensive and still don't give you any gain in distance unless you work on your casting. And yet people still queue up to buy them hoping for a few extra yards.

I've read peoples comments about safety and whilst I agree mainly, I think a rod casting 6oz of lead can be even more dangerous. This gadget fires where you aim it, if you have a crack off in the middle of a Pendulum cast the lead can go anywhere, including straight along the prom, etc.

I don't think these gadgets are the best thing ever and I can't see me using one, but i'll be intrested to see how many people take them up.

I guess they use a pound of lead as you can't use grip wires and I guess a pound will hold bottom in quite a strong current?

Baits will be destroyed as well, unless you use some kind of PVA bag?

Casting to me is part of the enjoyment of fishing, and I read people saying this is the end of fishing as we know it but people have been trying to get distance other than by casting for ages. People use ballons to drift out, and I have read of tope anglers casting out at low water with braid and retreating with the tide untill they have as much as 350 yards of line out (obviously no bait changes). I bet some tope anglers take these up.

Bite detecection will be a problem as well (I imagine) at 300 yards. I guess you would have to use braid.

I look forward to seeing one of these in action, but i'll be sticking with my rod. How often would you cast 30 yards into a gulley with this, if 300 yards was on the cards. :)

Just thought, does anyone remeber when you could write articles or stories for sea angler and win gear?

One of those stories was about fishing in the future. In it they had glass domes to fish under and a rocket launcher that would fire out bait and line.

Does anyone remember this?

Move over Arthur C Clarke :lol:

Saw this on the tsf thread but the video would not download. Seen it now and that is one serious bit of kit.

60 casts from a bottle of compressed air - Does any one have a scooby on what it costs to fill a bottle with compressed air?

They charge air gunners anything between £2 and £5 for a 20 litre tank. But would you want to be lugging a large tank down the rocks or on a long hike down a beach, so you would probably opt for a smaller more portable tank than the one shown or only fish from carparks. The filling cost of the smaller tanks are the same but with a proportionally reduced number of shots.

I would assume that for £650 it comes with a tank, but if not you can expect to pay anything up to £120 for an air bottle. If you go out to buy a bottle make sure the bottle has a long test. Air bottles need testing regularly (every two years I think for diving and slightly longer for recreational use such as shooting) and the slightest chip in the outside of the bottle will cause it to fail its test and you can not get an untested bottled refilled. Retests costs between 25 and 40 quid and if the bottle fails they will cut the neck off it with no refund. It isn't uncommon for a diver with a bottle he knows is doubtfull for its retest to sell it cheep for recreational use, for the purchaser to find a year down the line that it fails its test.

With regard to the legality of this device I would not like to be the one to test it out legaly against a cop with nothing better to do. As a keen airgunner there is no doubt in my mind that it is and airgun without a stock. The police are currently clamping down on air weapons to the extent where in the last five years I have had my gun confiscated twice and sent to Birmingham for testing (passed at 11.9 ft lbs both times) and had a full armed reponse turn out with 6 police cars and a spotter plane whilst shooting perfectly legally on a local farm. (ok I was dressed in full camo, carrying a gun with a large scope and only about 1/2 mile from the back of Tony Blairs house at the time)

Legally there are two types of weapons Airguns with a muzzle energy of less than 12 ft lbs and other weapons that exceed this limit and they are classed as firearms. You must hold a firearms certificate to posses a firearm and it must be registered with the police. If you buy a airgun and tune it up as many people do to a point where it exceeds 12 ft lb you then are commiting an offence of owning a firearm without a licence which is an automatic prison sentence in most cases. I can easily see how a bolchy copper could class this as an airgun for want of any other description and you could easily end up involved in an unwanted court case. I am not aware of any similar equipment used in the construction industry apart from a nail gun which can not fire a nail it just drives a nail into a surface it is in contact with.

Another point is this has been described by a few as a "mortar" because thats what it looks like. I have had my collar felt carrying a perfectly legal gun in the wrong area. I think if I had been carrying a mortar in that same place the outcome would not have been the same. In this current political climate would you take one of these onto public transport or knowingly set it up on a beach a few hundred yards from a politicians holiday home. I certainly wouldn't.

Finally these 1lb leads probably cost a fortune. To work correctly they would need to be accurately machined to the barrel. It cant see you being able to mold these in your garden shed from some bits of church roof you aquired. You would need accurate molds and a heafty sizing machine similar to that used by those who load their own ammo.

Not for me ...too many risks.

Dave

Edited by Fastd

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org