Gimme a B! Gimme an A! Gimme a double SS!

kishkash

Simon as usual makes some very good points coherently. Nobody likes the taste of fish more than me (particularly Bass and bream!). I'm happy to take a couple of Bass to 4.5lb for the table and Bream to 2.5lb but anything bigger gives me great pleasure to see swim away, although I still await that big bass!!. Must confess those catch and release fanatics who frown on any fish kept do wind me up a bit - each to their own!

Ok Prowler 13

Agree Martin.

One for the table is fine. Its also difficult for anyone to argue against rod and line as a source of catching food as there is no by catch and species can be specifically targeted.

However, as Simon points out in order to keep the moral high ground we also need to set standards and be responsible. Only then will we be seriously listened to and our sport can once again flourish in a sustainable environment.

Quick give me a beer I came over all serious! :huh::D

Edited by darnsarf

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

quote name='Martin Hurst' date='May 15 2006, 07:21 PM' post='627114']

Simon as usual makes some very good points coherently. Nobody likes the taste of fish more than me (particularly Bass and bream!). I'm happy to take a couple of Bass to 4.5lb for the table and Bream to 2.5lb but anything bigger gives me great pleasure to see swim away, although I still await that big bass!!. Must confess those catch and release fanatics who frown on any fish kept do wind me up a bit - each to their own!

Agree on all counts mate.

BBQ'd Bass stuffed with Fennel, Ramsons(wild garlic) and samphire.

Mmmmmfish-y

Hi Simon et al

Yep all good points.

I guess some of my posts and comments can come across as crass, but i think i've done the research and acquired the facts early enough in my seafishing career to be on the right "team".

Although i post mainly about bass i also target and catch other species (although not the big tope yet - awesome thread). I guess it stems from a fly fishing background since being a nipper - artificials and game fish is in the blood.

Although the smaller bass you mention was definately of the legal limit (i have a gauge on my rods), the ethical decision to take it is up for debate.

Here's a little insight for you though, ive been seafishing for just 2 seasons with any consistency and have only taken 3 bass home! Ive returned many. Im one of the odd bods that will also make a day out of targetting macks on super light spinning gear or spend a few hours diving off for spider crabs.

As you know there are many that would laugh at what we discuss here whilst chucking one of their "spare" fish to the cat. We'll always have poles to our topic and im happy with where i am in relation to our sport.

I totally agree education is key - it was a discussion like this that pointed me in the right direction before i even tackled up a couple of years ago. I will try and find out more about the netters and post if i can.

cheers

iz from North Devon - Prowler 13 - Travel light, keep 'em tight - ooh!

2007 Catches: Sea Trout 3/4 lb,.........

2007 Endeavours: Investigate the estuary

MyFishingKayak.co.uk

Keep us up to date with what happens to those bar-stewards. Hopefully the damage to your fishing spots will be limited to what they have already done - but be on your guard for others...one of the problems is the paper often reports where the net was set - giving all the other netters a free info service!

With your catch & release Kishkash - don't be tempted to try catch and release of mackerel unless you can shake them off the hook without touching them - they go back strongly, but if they have even just been handled they die within a few days. If you can shake them off in the water without touching them then they do survive. Quite a few folks have been putting mackerel back blissfully unaware that they already have a death warrent...

Legal size for bass is way, way too small - they have not even spawned yet. Regardless of what the law says at the moment, the sizes I gave you are more consistent with a sustainable fishery. If you take "legal" bass you are taking fish that have not had a chance to replace themselves - and like salmonids, the bigger females are more mature and produce much larger, more viable and very many more ova than smaller, immature females. A first spawner contributes very little to the breeding success of the species - it is the big girls that actually provide the gene pool for the stocks to survive.

One of the reasons we have so many small bass around is because of the mild winters providing excellent fry survival - but by taking fish of the legal size (whatever it is set at) the stocks will always be reduced to a main population of that size - which is why it is so important to raise the MLS, even voluntarily, to preferably 55cms - 45cms is still too small.

Norway have recognised this and as soon as bass were found to be resident over there they slapped a preservation order on them - no commercial taking of bass at all in Norway.....they see the recreational value of what they have and have protected it from the very outset. They have fantastic bass stocks over there - and a mostly self contained breeding population now. We should follow suit and put a protection order on the bass - not within 12 miles, but totally. Then, within about 15 years, we would see the stocks and average size get back to what they were in the 1970s, but it will take as long as that to succeed. On the other hand, total collapse is possible within 3 years if the spawning shoals are continually trawled and harrassed by every available means - have a look at some of the Guernsey problems! Their line fishermen are doing untold damage by hammering the spawners on one particular mark.

Don't bury your heads folks - bass are really under enormous pressure and the stocks will collapse very suddenly, not gradually.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Hi Simon

points taken onboard.

dont worry im savvy to the mackerels achilles heel/tail too.

Did i see a post somewhere suggesting a permanent thread/editorial at the top of the forum to convey key and often discussed issues?

iz from North Devon - Prowler 13 - Travel light, keep 'em tight - ooh!

2007 Catches: Sea Trout 3/4 lb,.........

2007 Endeavours: Investigate the estuary

MyFishingKayak.co.uk