stripers in the uk?

stavey

quote:

Normally I would err on the side of caution but there's so little fish life left in the inshore waters
Don't know about where you fish but theres been a fantastic year here. Okay the Cod are small, but no wonder, after the hammering from the commercials over the last 30 years. The fishing fleet are more or less gone but i'm still catching cod; guess who is the hardier ? I doubt I could pass a rock on the beach that was not covered in this years hopefuls;

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jaffa were do you fish from mate it must be in the north sea area i guess if it is those little cod will be gone this time next year, big enough to get trapped in the cod end, how many 20lbers have you caught this year off the beach, if none, ask yourself why.

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

stavey:

ok point taken, so you are saying the removing of a species like the cod does no damage to the ecosystem and its ok fish down the food chain, its far more harmful to introduce a species that take its place then?

Whats damage? I'd be sad to see the cod go but I'm sure they have come and gone over the years.

In this case your not just introducing a single species but an ecosystem; all the diseases and parsites and good and bad fungi/bacteria that have developed with the striped Bass.

This is a nuke bomb compared to a 14th century war with guys in tight tights and bows and arrows!

In this case your not just introducing a single species but an ecosystem; all the diseases and parsites and good and bad fungi/bacteria that have developed with the striped Bass.

Yes, but they said that about catfish, zander and largemouth bass. So far so good.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

jaffa, the striped bass that would be indroduced would be from a stock breed supply from farms not straight out of there sea to here. thats how they succesfully done it from the east coast to the west coast in the states they have had no problems and they have not caused any ecosystem problems so its already been done. i suggest you do a little reading about the striped bass and their stockings in the states. oh and the cod stocks by the way not been damaged well i think your having a laugh?

stavey:

jaffa were do you fish from mate it must be in the north sea area i guess if it is those little cod will be gone this time next year, big enough to get trapped in the cod end, how many 20lbers have you caught this year off the beach, if none, ask yourself why.

Im lucky and live on the NE of Scotland but the biggest fish I've seen caught here was a 13lber at Arbroath harbour. I've seen much bigger on the fishmaket but that was years ago. I know that the fishing could be better, and yes its a long time since I've seen a real big cod but we all know what destruction the commercials havedone over the lastfew decades.

Give it time, there is'nt a fleet to speak of here any more, the NE fishing fleets are all in major decline. They are paying the price. our fishing is going to impprove :)

The last two summers I have had pods of up too two dozen dolphins crashing around my yak. The sea is heaving with life :) who needs panic introductions?

jaffa that would explain for the tiny kelp cod, that has no bearing at all to the situation and any way if there was stocking of striped bass down here you would not be effected because they would not probably go there because of the colder water. right thats it its now to late to post anymore good night.

Introducing foreign species is fraught with unknown dangers. I would be totally against this idea for apparently 'selfish' reasons of "sport". Look at the big picture. Has there ever been a successful introduction of a foreign species anywhere in the world? Successful being defined as beneficial to the whole local environment! Rabbits (deliberate)? Prickly pear (deliberate)? Rats (opportunistic)? Stoats (deliberate)? Mink (escapees)? Rainbow trout (supposedly sterile)? Wild boar (escapees)? Them big Carribean toads (deliberate)? Sparrows (deliberate)? Giant Hogweed (opportunistic)? Terrapins (deliberate)? Zander (deliberate)? Wels (deliberate). Various insects (scientific)? Rockling award for cleverness if you can list the countries afflicted by these various plagues. No point in being clever, the alien species will still prosper. I am sure others can add to this list. Introducing an enegetic predator can lead to a boom and bust situation, their population levels soar as they eat everything that is available then crash as the delicate balance of the eco-system tilts under the unequal pressures. Get a grip, Stavey! We just do not know the implications of what you suggest! No harm to you, mate, I am all for improving our fishing; I think the first step would be the banning of industrial fishing.

Question: has there ever been a successful introduction of a foreign species anywhere in the world?

This could be a good, in depth, thought-provoking thread. Please reply!

Rockling.

(eyeing the strange octopus that has appeared outside his brood's home)

PS the most disruptive introduction has probably been the various incursions of members of homo sapiens! What price "progress"? I am reminded of George Orwell's quest to rediscover a childhood carp pond, "Coming up for Air" I think.