High Definition television

Alan Hammond

What's a TV?

What's the World Cup?

What is a record player?

Thanks in anticipation for your help :blink:

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have wired my new lounge area for a wall hung unit with surround sound.

I started looking at 42" plasma screens and noted that lcd screens had a far better picture.

Aftef looking at several sites I saw HITV can anyone explain what this is please.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Ken.

Not heard of your new acronym before but I would say that you should do a thorough screen test before parting with your cash for an LCD.

In particular, you should look out for latency - pixels that don't change quickly enough to keep up with the action. There may blurring of edges when blocks of colour move accross the screen (like a footballer running across the field) or a slow fading in and out instead of strobing effects.

Plasmas overcome some of these problems but their big bugbare is the poor discrimination between dark colours like greys and blacks - why else do you thing they always demo them with nice bright cartoons ?

Take a copy of something dingy like blade runner or better yet, a remastered DVD of a B&W movie in with you to check out your screen.

SED displays will probablt solve all these issues and be as good a picture as a good old fashioned tube telly but they haven't really hit the market yet.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

IDTV = Integrated Digital Television.

In otherwords, the tuner in the thing is ready to recieve digital terestrial broadcasts without the need for a seperate freeview box.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Guest sandpipper

Hi all, i bought this one a little while ago

http://www.digisaurus.co.uk/site/product.a...&sub=9&prod=371

and to honest with you the quality is not as good as my old toshiba 36in, its quiet slow in changing colour when watching a fast action movie, and the speakers distort if you turn it up more than half way so i leave the surround sound on most of the time, when i was shopping around for one i took a poor quality dvd with and asked what ever shop i was in to put it in their dvd player. what supprised me most was the amount of shops that said they were not allowed to show anything but what had been supplied with sony was the worst.And another tip ask about the wall brackets and prices as you will be shocked.Tony

And another tip ask about the wall brackets and prices as you will be shocked.Tony

I have that one covered 15 degree tilt £149, is still a high price when you can buy a bracket for a 42kl air conditoining unit for £15.

You pushed the boat out with the screen, I have put an upper limit of £1500 on mine for a 42" and with luck I will save some. Looks like a plasma for me.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Yep. All the picture problems you describe are typical of a LCD (TFT) set but at the moment, you have to put up with the swings if you want to play on the roundabouts and it's the price you pay for a TV that you can hang on the wall.

You're also right that sound from these super slim cabinets can be lousy and the wall brackets are a bl00dy rip off.

I just wish that more companies would tell customers about the tradeoff's they're making, that way theyll be happier because they've made an informed choice, they'll be less likely to moan after the purchace and they'll be more likely to go back to an honest dealer when the next upgrade is due.

I have both a Plasma as my main TV and a couple of smaller LCD's. The picture quality of the Plasma is much better than the LCD's, but, the LCD's are quiet whereas the Plasma buzzes loudly when displaying light colours. No amount of fiddling with settings has been able to cure it.

Paul