solar powered lights

Andy_1984

i was reading a topic on the fish keeping forum about solar powered lights and it got me thinking, say you were out fishing from early morning through the day to the next morning. the last topic speaks of one you stick in the ground and the solar panel is in the top so there are no wires. it sounds prety easy to carry around fishing with you so you could stick it in the ground during the day then turn it on at night.

just wondering though if they would last a good few hours at least till you go for a sleep or till you get more light come morning.

the reason im wondering this is because i already spend a fortune on batteries for camera, keyboard, mouse, clocks

topic in question: http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=61459

Edited by Andy_1984

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

I bought a set of those lights from Woolies as well. The solar panel powers three very bright lights for at least seven hours constantly on. I cannot see that it would take more than basic DIY skills to adapt the LED from one of the lights into a torch with an on/off switch and a socket for charging from the solar panel, which to my mind was worth the money on its own. This would give you enough free light for a nights use easily. In fact if you adapted all three lights you would have more than enough. The way that these solar panels are rapidly developing from a gimmick into a genuine tool makes you wonder how long before they get them to the stage that where they will be powering more than just lights and calculators.

A Hammond

I see that Woolworths were selling wind-up led torches for half price (£5.99) recently.

That sounds a better idea.

http://froogle.google.co.uk/froogle?q=Wool...roogle&ct=title

that does look and sound alot better for maybe if your taking a midnight stroll away from your peg but with the garden lights id imagine they would be bright enough to light up a small area say one at the tent and one at your rod as i remember a while back was out night fishing and i had to pee, i steped out the tent walked a few feet and almost fell down a huge hole

Power consumption from LED lighting is so low that it's probably cheaper and less hastle to just stick with batteries - rechargables of course.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Power consumption from LED lighting is so low that it's probably cheaper and less hastle to just stick with batteries - rechargables of course.

i cant see how thats cheaper, solar :sun: or kinetic :wallbash: energy is free, recharging in a mains supply costs money

OK, so you have to fork out for a set of solar panels and a converter of some sort so that you can charge up some batteries for "free" on the bank.

Solar panels arn't cheap and they're fairly delecate so you will have to factor in the cost of regular replacements.

Alternatively, you can go out and by a battery charger that will happily give years of service and reliably charge your batteries year in year out.

Do you want to lug a set of panels everywhere you go ?

Will you always be fishing for long enough through daylight to ensure a charge of your batteries for the night stint ?

Are you sure that your panels will survive the weather and rough handleing ?

Is every night session preceeded by a nice sunny day ?

If not, you can charge up the batteries in your LED lights as well as a spare set at home, carry far less junk to the waterside and pay tiny fractions of a peny for each reacharge.

It'll take a LOT of charges/night fishing sessions to even come close to breaking even on solar. I gather that they're not exactly environmentally friendly when you come to dispose of them as well.

As for kinetic. Bulky and unreliable - especially in an environment where the parts will corrode.

When was the last time you saw anyone with a wind up radio next to their bivie..... ?

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I brought a wind up torch/radio/mobile phone charger from the local market for £3:99, fair enough it can only pick up the stronger signals on the radio but its better than nothing......................i also brought one of these

faraday.jpg

you shake it to charge it and the best part..................it only cost a quid from Penkridge market :D

TROGG (Alan)

a government is there to serve its people not rule them

OK, so you have to fork out for a set of solar panels and a converter of some sort so that you can charge up some batteries for "free" on the bank.

Solar panels arn't cheap and they're fairly delecate so you will have to factor in the cost of regular replacements.

Alternatively, you can go out and by a battery charger that will happily give years of service and reliably charge your batteries year in year out.

Do you want to lug a set of panels everywhere you go ?

Will you always be fishing for long enough through daylight to ensure a charge of your batteries for the night stint ?

Are you sure that your panels will survive the weather and rough handleing ?

Is every night session preceeded by a nice sunny day ?

If not, you can charge up the batteries in your LED lights as well as a spare set at home, carry far less junk to the waterside and pay tiny fractions of a peny for each reacharge.

It'll take a LOT of charges/night fishing sessions to even come close to breaking even on solar. I gather that they're not exactly environmentally friendly when you come to dispose of them as well.

As for kinetic. Bulky and unreliable - especially in an environment where the parts will corrode.

When was the last time you saw anyone with a wind up radio next to their bivie..... ?

you dont see what im saying. you can buy solar powered garden lights from places like B&Q or other garden centers so no lugging around big solar panels wires and building it all up and screwing around and for weather, well they are garden lights so wouldnt they be a bit useles if they broke in a little bad weather ? and i was going to get a wind up radio for fishing but i decided against it when i seen the price

Edited by Andy_1984

I bought a set of those lights from Woolies as well. The solar panel powers three very bright lights for at least seven hours constantly on. I cannot see that it would take more than basic DIY skills to adapt the LED from one of the lights into a torch with an on/off switch and a socket for charging from the solar panel, which to my mind was worth the money on its own. This would give you enough free light for a nights use easily. In fact if you adapted all three lights you would have more than enough. The way that these solar panels are rapidly developing from a gimmick into a genuine tool makes you wonder how long before they get them to the stage that where they will be powering more than just lights and calculators.

I think you're spot on there.

For session anglers, a solar powered way of recharging phones would be great and probably not that difficult. I can see there being a unit with a car cigarette lighter type adaptor on that would make it possible to do a variety of things.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE