floats for mullet ?

hairyscotsman

I fly fish mainly but i have just bought a shimano 390fa for float fishing for grayling in the winter. I would love to try it when i am fishing for mullet but i have no idea of a set up or which floats to use etc. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

I fly fish mainly but i have just bought a shimano 390fa for float fishing for grayling in the winter. I would love to try it when i am fishing for mullet but i have no idea of a set up or which floats to use etc. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Depending on the situation I use wagglers, controllers or more often than not a plain avon type float. Nothin fancy needed for mullet. just patience and perseverence.

What do you use for grayling?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Know nothing about mullet fishing, but I did watch John Wilson fishing deep water off rocks for mullet on TV. He constructed a *huge* avon-shaped slider float from a big plastic chubber float, with about 12" of peacock quill shoved through it.

Then he tried to get a mullet to tail-walk, held it in the blazing sun for 3 minutes while yakking, then said "let's put it back straight away" ;)

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

Have a look at page 81 of this month's Sea Angler.

Also at: http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/authors/leon22.htm

Fishing creeks etc, where there isn't too much flow or waves, I like to use the smallest crystal insert waggler that I can get away with.

Out on the open briny, then I often find that I need just about the biggest waggler that I can find.

Where there is a good tide run, say running along a wall, then a stick float comes in handy (If you put a silicone float rubber up the line when using a float adaptor to take a waggler, you can change over to a stick float easily when the tide begins to run).

It's the constantly changing conditions that make fishing for mullet different from fishing for grayling etc (well apart from the fight, but you'll discover that for yourself).

With the strength and direction of the tide changing, along with the depth, affecting the way that mullet behave, as well as adapting the tackle and strategy needed to tempt them, they can be a challenge for even the most experienced coarse angler, and member of the brotherhood of the centrepin.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

there are also occasions when i find a clear plastic bubble float usefull.for instance when the fish are taking bread off the surface, but at a distance that is a little far for a piece of free lined bread to be cast.

i like them as there is no "stem" sticking down into the water,i can add a little bit of water to them to give an extra bit of casting weight, and a mullet that snatches the bread and dives, will often hook itself on the resistance of the float.

very useful somtimes. cheers dave :)

Same as the others I select the float depending on the conditions.

Out of interest the famous "Rother Mulleteers" used extremely long (20"+) wagglers (some times fished top and bottom) for thin lips as they reckoned it improved your chances of hitting the ultra quick bites.

Ive never found this to be a problem............er getting the bites in the first place is my issue!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Large loafers are ideal.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Same as the others I select the float depending on the conditions.

Out of interest the famous "Rother Mulleteers" used extremely long (20"+) wagglers (some times fished top and bottom) for thin lips as they reckoned it improved your chances of hitting the ultra quick bites.

Ive never found this to be a problem............er getting the bites in the first place is my issue!

Thin lipped-mullet are IMHO, not in the same class as thick-lips. The thick-lipped mullet puts up a much better fight than a thin-lipped mullet of the same size.

Like budgie, the main problem I (and I suspect most others have when fishing for mullet) is just getting the sods to bite in th first place.

Large loafers are ideal.

Yup. I have a couple of them in my float tube too.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Yes I would agree with Corry that Thin Lips dont fight as hard as Thicks.

My attraction with them is that unlike Thicks I dont seem to be able to consistently catch them even though I can see they are present!

When compared to Thins,Thicks are definately Thick by name thick by nature! :D

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Yes I would agree with Corry that Thin Lips dont fight as hard as Thicks.

My attraction with them is that unlike Thicks I dont seem to be able to consistently catch them even though I can see they are present!

When compared to Thins,Thicks are definately Thick by name thick by nature! :D

Are you sayning that you can 'consistently catch" thicks? I wish I could. The only thing I catch cosistently are little crabs when I am legering.