Help!

Kappa

I was trying to catch barbel last night on the Thames near Oxford. I was using hair-rigged pellet. I was getting lots of tweaks and pulls with the occasionally real thump. However I didn't connect with a single bite. I was thinking maybe it was crayfish, however the 'bites' stopped almost completely just as it got dark. I've always found crays to be more of a nuisance after dark than before!

There was one bite I decided to not to hit and let it get away see attached!

post-560-1151592803_thumb.jpg

post-560-1151592826_thumb.jpg

Could well have been crays mate, they can give suprisingly good indications sometimes. Chub are possible, but I would have thought that you would have connected with at least one eventually.

Try shortening your hair rig, so that the bait is tight to the hook, or disposing with a solid pellet and using paste molded around the hook rather than hair.

If your still missing good bites then I would blame crays.

Could well have been crays mate, they can give suprisingly good indications sometimes. Chub are possible, but I would have thought that you would have connected with at least one eventually.

Try shortening your hair rig, so that the bait is tight to the hook, or disposing with a solid pellet and using paste molded around the hook rather than hair.

If your still missing good bites then I would blame crays.

Sometimes a very good sign if the crayfish twitches suddenly stop - often means fish have arrived in your swim!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Hi Rich

I was out on the Thames near Oxford too last night and was getting some seriously good bites from the crays. I had to give up using pellets because they were crunching them off the hair. Air-dried boilies were OK though.

Crays and swans - what a relaxing evening!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Hi Rich

I was out on the Thames near Oxford too last night and was getting some seriously good bites from the crays. I had to give up using pellets because they were crunching them off the hair. Air-dried boilies were OK though.

Crays and swans - what a relaxing evening!

Yes very relaxing!!! If it was crays they didn't manage to break up the halibut pellet! Unfortunatley I bust my shoulder playing football last night so no fishing for me for 6 weeks! :(

I'll have to spend some time pre baiting instead!

Rich

I've had unhittable bites from Thames chub. In my case it was on cheese paste in February. Unlikely to be crays at that time of year. I hit the bites eventually by changing to breadflake.

See:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.p...mp;showentry=72