Spiral clip for attaching pike flies

Jim Murray

Been looking for a really good clip for attaching pike flies to the wire trace. Remember seeing an article by I think Bert Rozemeijer a while back describing a home-made spiral clip. Can't find any more info about it but can anyone help?

Jim.

Been looking for a really good clip for attaching pike flies to the wire trace. Remember seeing an article by I think Bert Rozemeijer a while back describing a home-made spiral clip. Can't find any more info about it but can anyone help?

Jim.

Orvis do a clever little retwistable device that you might be interested in.

here

The clip that you're looking for was not from Bertus Rozemeijer. Right country...wrong dutchman. It was Ad Swier. Can't find a picture anywhere, perhaps you can google up Ad... I think he has a website.

I use a small fine wire Staylock snap on 12 inches of 20lb titanium. I find the Orvis and Swier solutions to be overly fussy. To be honest Jim I can't see the point.

Edited by argyll

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Doing nothing this morning (waiting on the rain to stop).

I decided to do a wee experiment for you.

I had some Mustad Snap Hooks,( I have use the very small ones for dry flies) so using the larger size (size 1) with 30lb 7 strand fox wire and fox crimps, I put on a size 6 salmon double and attached the lot to 18lb maxima I then tied the lot to the door handle. The result was the maxima broke.

Maybe it will work with pike flies. :)

Edited by salmo6934

Jim.

Jim,

Argyll is right and wrong with who is who. Both Bertus and Ad have had articles printed on this clip.

Have a look here for a details and how to.

Ad Swier has a website here

Colin

Thanks, that is the clip I was thinking of. Only thing is the instructions aren't really too clear(to me) and also for pike fly attachment I was thinking of making one say 1" long and crimping it to the wire trace. I find snap-locks very fiddly and also have had one or two break on me(never on fish, usually when changing flies). Has anyone tried making one of these spirals?

Jim.

Thanks, that is the clip I was thinking of. Only thing is the instructions aren't really too clear(to me) and also for pike fly attachment I was thinking of making one say 1" long and crimping it to the wire trace. I find snap-locks very fiddly and also have had one or two break on me(never on fish, usually when changing flies). Has anyone tried making one of these spirals?

Jim.

Jim,

I'd just buy some knotable wire!!

Argyll knows[?] of a source of 20lb Titanium and you can tie knots in that.

The spiral clip tends to be on the heavy side.

Colin

Jim,

I'd just buy some knotable wire!!

Argyll knows[?] of a source of 20lb Titanium and you can tie knots in that.

The spiral clip tends to be on the heavy side.

Colin

I prefer some sort of clip to make changing flies easy. I don't reckon the weight is much of an issue compared to the weight of a big pike fly anyway. Obviously the lighter the better though.... :)

Jim.

• 2 weeks later...
I prefer some sort of clip to make changing flies easy. I don't reckon the weight is much of an issue compared to the weight of a big pike fly anyway. Obviously the lighter the better though.... :)

Jim.

Guys whay wire, why clips? Most of the guys I know who fish for Pike (self included) use 0,8mm HardMono tippets of approx 30cm lenght. Tie flies on the tippet, put a selection in your pocket and when the tippet gets worn, just swap fly and tippet (loop/loop connection). Repairs/Replacement are done back at base.

Before the argumenst pop up " ... dont trust the stuff etc etc" big pike (15lb++) arent the problem, the gaps between their teeth allow the hard-mono to pass easily between, its the Jacks which cause damage to the tippet.

Just to stir things up - not only do I use hard-mono but I also fish without barbs :sun:

Guys whay wire, why clips? Most of the guys I know who fish for Pike (self included) use 0,8mm HardMono tippets of approx 30cm lenght. Tie flies on the tippet, put a selection in your pocket and when the tippet gets worn, just swap fly and tippet (loop/loop connection). Repairs/Replacement are done back at base.

Before the argumenst pop up " ... dont trust the stuff etc etc" big pike (15lb++) arent the problem, the gaps between their teeth allow the hard-mono to pass easily between, its the Jacks which cause damage to the tippet.

Just to stir things up - not only do I use hard-mono but I also fish without barbs :sun:

Interesting. So are you saying you have *never* had a bite-off when using mono...?

Jim.

Interesting. So are you saying you have *never* had a bite-off when using mono...?

Jim.

Not when using hard mono of 25 lb. test or better.

A good plastic coated wire that will accept knots (e.g. Tigerwire) is a simple solution if you don't trust mono. While they claim it will accept knots, only a few will actually work well without distorting the wire. I use a Double Surgeon's Loop for the loop-to-loop connection and a simple variation on an Arbor Knot for the fly end. Make an overhand knot a couple of inches from the end. Pass the tag through the eye of the hook and back through the overhand knot. Pull the overhand knot snug but not tight and pull the loop as small as you want it. Then using tag end, make another overhand knot as you would a standard Arbor knot, running the main line through the loop of the knot. Snug that overhand knot up against the first one then pull tight.

I've pulled tested a number of these leaders to destruction and the Double Surgeon's Loop always lets go first. The beauty of that Arbor knot variation is that it connects to the fly via a small loop, leaving the fly free to move naturally.

Peter