RAIN :(

CYNSWIM

I live in south wales where the worst rain was and the river was over the road!!

Same here in the North East. The Derwent and the Browney have both burst their banks and the Tyne was 11ft up at Bywell this morning!

We've just been out for a bit of shopping and there were a few stretches of road that were so flooded I almost wondered whether we were going to get through! Massive queues in some places, where people were going through on one side of the road at a time. All it's going to take is for one car to break down and the queues will be going back for ever! And it's still raining outside.

It's going to take some time for this lot to run off. I can't exactly see myself doing much more fishing this season somehow…

Floods so severe as to cause the roads to become part of the river do present problems in all kinds of ways, not just to the fishing. However heavy rain leading to swollen brown rivers cause great excitement on our rivers. Under such conditions the river simply HAS to be fished. Even those who don't fish very much take to the water, I have seen 3 anglers pass by today who I am well enough acquainted with to know that these are the only conditions which will get them to the river. After dark areas of cut grass are dotted with dim lights as great long lobworms are gathered. The rains turn the river into a site of 'fishfest' and no great skill is required to claims one's share in the harvest. Lobworms dropped into any spot of slack water shelltered from the main torrent is likely to yield one of the fine fat Brown Trout which seem to appear as if by magic, and of course the migratory Sea Trout and Salmon take advantage of the extra water to lift them upon their journey. I took my very first Salmon as a child under such conditions by dropping 3 worms threaded onto a black iron over the wall twenty wards from the house in which I was raised. The exact spot in which my Father took his last ever fish in the same conditions and by the same method. It's not raining heavily this afternoon and there will be anglers out right now, and will be seen coming home with their dripping prizes carried in landing nets, so that anyone might witness their prowess, despite that in truth with the river so, catching fish is easier than upon any 'duffers fortnight' of Mayfly frenzy.

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

It's not raining heavily this afternoon and there will be anglers out right now, and will be seen coming home with their dripping prizes carried in landing nets, so that anyone might witness their prowess, despite that in truth with the river so, catching fish is easier than upon any 'duffers fortnight' of Mayfly frenzy.

Shame this bit's fly-only then! (I took this this afternoon and it's probably gone down about three feet from yesterday, when it was right over the fields.)

cow%20field.jpg

Shame this bit's fly-only then! (I took this this afternoon and it's probably gone down about three feet from yesterday, when it was right over the fields.)

Why do you think they make bits of rivers fly only?

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"