First Barbel

Andrew PI

Went fishing on the Bristol Avon today with Glenn armed with enough pellets to fill the river in with the one aim of catching my first Barbel. Managed to hit a couple of small chub, but then around 1 I looked away from my rod as I have a habit of doing, then turned back round to see it bent double then eased into the fish.

After about 20 minutes, and at one point thinking I had lost the fish in a snag, Glenn did the honours and slipped the net under my first Barbel. We weighed it the net with Glenns scales which bottomed out at 11lb. Any thoughts on what it would have weighed.

http://photo.apotterirwin.com/Fishing/

Nice fish! now prepared to be punished by a succession of blanks!

Not worried about that now. That fish was enough to keep me going for a while. Hope to see you out on the bank soon.

Not worried about that now. That fish was enough to keep me going for a while. Hope to see you out on the bank soon.

I'm ready to go, PM me next time you're off anywhere :)

A shameless bringing back to the top of this but I am looking for some more ideas as to how heavy the fish was.

Is it really that important ??

It looks a magnificent fish, dont drag it down to numbers..!!! :thumbs:

Best Fishes

Zaph'

--------------

http://www.tenchfishers.net

Zaphods just 'zis guy, you know..!

Is it really that important ??

It looks a magnificent fish, dont drag it down to numbers..!!! :thumbs:

Only that I found out afterwards what the club record was and think this may have gone close.