The Broads

Elton

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carpers (and most pikers, I believe )use an audible alarm to signify a take from a fish they've located for themselves. Now, even you have to concede that a moving-line sensor pales into insignificance against something that actually finds your fish for you. Per-lease - if you're going to rest that case, at least find it a stable platform, or it'll surely fall flat.

And no, the fish-density wasn't a bit of a guess. I simply divided the number of known carp, plus an allowance for unknown ones, into the acreage of the lake. Not an exact science by any means but certainly a world away from the 'aquarium' analogy you made up, Sir!

'Fish-finders', indeed! :D

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

Most pikers use an electric bite alarm! Not from a boat they don't!! And anyway, I was talking pike fishing, not carp fishing for pike!!!

It is a sad reflection on the one species, one method angler that they won't/can't adapt. Upstream of Great Yarmouth there have been a number of thirty and forty pound carp caught, wild carp at that, from a wild river yer know.

Yes, a few carp anglers, rather than carpies, have targetted them, and done well, very well infact. Within miles of one particular stretch of river there are three carp pits, all charging loads of money. The river is free, the fish are there, and pretty easy to catch. But they aren't weaned on boilies and you need a boat, and no, you can't use a bivvy nor an alarm. I have been in the local tackle shop, even heard sad carpies ask if they can use an alarm and bivvy up. On being told 'no' they have lumbered off to pay their dosh to camp beside a mud hole! Yet there are wild, river forty pounders there for the asking, almost!!

And not owning a boat needn't be an excuse either. I bought a very stable glass fibre rowing boat the other day, complete with a good trailer and Seagull outboard for £50.00. All in good working order too! Ideal for angling, just needs a transponder screwed to it & off I go :) .

Peter Waller:

I bought a very stable glass fibre rowing boat the other day, complete with a good trailer and Seagull outboard for £50.00. All in good working order too! Ideal for angling, just needs a transponder screwed to it & off I go :) .

Seagull??? Do you mean a two stroke???

Surely they must have been banned on the broads by now. All that nasty poluting oil going into the water - think what it's doing to the pike (and carp) ;-).

Peter Waller:

And anyway, I was talking pike fishing not carp fishing for pike!!!

Hmmm...the thot plickens!

So, it's bad to use bite alarms and to fish from the bank - but it's fine to fish from a boat using an electronic fish-finder?

Gotcha! :confused:

He's quite bonkers, you know...)

:D

StuMac:

StuMac:

I bought a very stable glass fibre rowing boat the other day, complete with a good trailer and Seagull outboard for £50.00. All in good working order too! Ideal for angling, just needs a transponder screwed to it & off I go :) .

Seagull??? Do you mean a two stroke???

Surely they must have been banned on the broads by now. All that nasty poluting oil going into the water - think what it's doing to the pike (and carp) ;-).

25 to 1 an all!! Less damaging than the diesel that most Broads boats are powered by. Tell the truth, I like a good pair of oars. New outboards will soon have to be four-stroke. We are getting there, slowly.

Wordbender:

Wordbender:

And anyway, I was talking pike fishing not carp fishing for pike!!!

Hmmm...the thot plickens!

So, it's bad to use bite alarms and to fish from the bank - but it's fine to fish from a boat using an electronic fish-finder?

Gotcha! :confused:

He's quite bonkers, you know...)

Reckon one negates the other Tel, must be a draw!! Now't wrong with fishing from the bank, I often do it, with a float or touch ledgering, non of that electrical nonsense yer know!!

quote:

Reckon one negates the other Tel, must be a draw!! Now't wrong with fishing from the bank, I often do it, with a float or touch ledgering, non of that electrical nonsense yer know!! [/QB]
A cynical fellow would opine that offering me the draw is the surest admission of defeat, but I'm not cynical, obviously.

As for the float / touch ledger deal, it obviously has its place, but not with long-session carping, apart from when stalking carp from the margins.

You see, I really do prefer to watch and enjoy everything around me, rather than sit staring at a float until my retinas implode.

Alarms are audible aids to bite detection, floats are visual ones. It's just that one allows me to get more enjoyment from the whole fishing experience, see? Or rather 'hear'?

Anyway, I won, you lost, and carpers roooool! Saw-tid! :D

Hur!! Cheeky sod! A draw I tells you, a draw and count yourself lucky at that!!

When I angle, I angles 100%, non of this distraction lark yer know. But even then I don't miss much!

Wandering off to commune with nature when I could be watching my old, faithful quill, s'not on I tells yer, s'not on!

...as ever and anon we hear the distant crash of Don Wallerté tilting at yet another windmill...