those "dangerous" mako sharks have arrived!

captain cojones

5 minutes on 10lb line??????? Must be some angler

Why? It's perfectly feasible - that's why you set your drag.

Now, this is not a word of a lie, but a few years back, 15 or so, in South Africa (Protea Reef), we hit a shoal of yellowfin tuna, usually around the 15kg mark at that time, and all 6 rods went. We were using Rapala CB10 Magnums on Shimano TLD-15, 20 and 25 reels (this is all from memory so numbers may be slightly out!) and 30lb line and trace, bar one reel loaded with 20lb line and 20lb trace. Well, I picked up that one and all I can say is thank God for lever drags!! All 5 tuna made it into the boat and I still had line running out. In the end we turned the boat and followed until we were above the fish and I started pumping it up to the surface. After an hour we finally got it up. A 350lb (+-) Zambezi (Bull) shark. Presumably it had taken the Rapala by chance while heading for a tuna, and fortunately for me it had got it just in front of the teeth. Damage to the lure was the rear trebble pulling slightly out to one side of the tail of the lure. The particular Rapala was 'chartreuse', that sort of flouro yellow. I still have the lure at home somewhere, and another in my lure box - but never caught another fish on one!!! I guess Waveney pike aren't as hungry as Bull sharks. It was my biggest fish ever, and I still shake my head at the fact that I actually got it up on that tackle - but I did and that's true. And to keep that Mako on for 5 minutes with 10lb line is also quite likely. Path of least resistance and all that - he'd probably have a trace on if chasing the bass (though we often had sharks in SA without wire traces, when they took baits meant for other fish and didn't swallow them straight down, surprising how many were hooked in front of the gnashers).

Just my thoughts.

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, this is not a word of a lie, but a few years back, 15 or so, in South Africa (Protea Reef), we hit a shoal of yellowfin tuna, usually around the 15kg mark at that time, and all 6 rods went. We were using Rapala CB10 Magnums on Shimano TLD-15, 20 and 25 reels (this is all from memory so numbers may be slightly out!) and 30lb line and trace, bar one reel loaded with 20lb line and 20lb trace. Well, I picked up that one and all I can say is thank God for lever drags!! All 5 tuna made it into the boat and I still had line running out. In the end we turned the boat and followed until we were above the fish and I started pumping it up to the surface. After an hour we finally got it up. A 350lb (+-) Zambezi (Bull) shark. Presumably it had taken the Rapala by chance while heading for a tuna, and fortunately for me it had got it just in front of the teeth. Damage to the lure was the rear trebble pulling slightly out to one side of the tail of the lure. The particular Rapala was 'chartreuse', that sort of flouro yellow. I still have the lure at home somewhere, and another in my lure box - but never caught another fish on one!!! I guess Waveney pike aren't as hungry as Bull sharks. It was my biggest fish ever, and I still shake my head at the fact that I actually got it up on that tackle - but I did and that's true. And to keep that Mako on for 5 minutes with 10lb line is also quite likely. Path of least resistance and all that - he'd probably have a trace on if chasing the bass (though we often had sharks in SA without wire traces, when they took baits meant for other fish and didn't swallow them straight down, surprising how many were hooked in front of the gnashers).

I would certainly go with that account on the basis that it is first hand, but local rags need to stretch every story to the full in order to make it worth while putting into print.

I fell foul of the local press two weeks ago when they stated my new development did not have planning permission which was completely untrue.

They printed a full retraction this week, in truth it did trade a lot of good. :D:D

This is the one thing that Wurzle and I can fully agree on news papers print mostly bull s*** :D:D

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

This is the one thing that Wurzle and I can fully agree on news papers print mostly bull s*** :D:D

That's true. I sometimes write articles that get changed heavily or credited to other people after submission. Such as the complete article I emailed which had such gems by the 'author' as 'Mr Crame said...."

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

Why? It's perfectly feasible - that's why you set your drag.

Just my thoughts.

Hi Mark

I am aware of what can be achieved on light lines. The Berkeley line class record for 4 lb line is a 194lb Porgie. This deliberate record attempt will have been achieved on a large reel with hundreds if not thousands of yards of line.

Admittedley it is only an assumtion but I am guessing the guy in question will have had a small multiplier or more likely an egg beater (fixed spool) with 200 yards of line. A shark "setting of like an express train" would cover this distance in seconds not minutes. So I still say he must be a good angler to keep it on for 4-5 minutes.

Berkeley a few years ago was offering 10,000 pounds to anyone who broke their line class records, the one which i find astonishing is the 1lb line record which caught a 19 lb. Pollack.

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

Hi Mark

I am aware of what can be achieved on light lines. The Berkeley line class record for 4 lb line is a 194lb Porgie. This deliberate record attempt will have been achieved on a large reel with hundreds if not thousands of yards of line.

Admittedley it is only an assumtion but I am guessing the guy in question will have had a small multiplier or more likely an egg beater (fixed spool) with 200 yards of line. A shark "setting of like an express train" would cover this distance in seconds not minutes. So I still say he must be a good angler to keep it on for 4-5 minutes.

Berkeley a few years ago was offering 10,000 pounds to anyone who broke their line class records, the one which i find astonishing is the 1lb line record which caught a 19 lb. Pollack.

No point having more than a few hundred yards of light line as the water pressure alone will snap it if the fish is moving quickly. Most ultra light catches are down to very skillful boat handling as much as the angler.

I guess if the shark in question was on for 5 minutes it didn't know it was hooked.