Indian Carp

Hi Guys,

For some strange reason I just couldn't log on to AN the whole of yesterday :blink:

Thanks for taking over Rustam, while I was lost somewhere in cyber sapce.

Rob,

I know what you mean... the grass carp I've caught (much smaller) have been torpedo shaped, with smaller scales. But the scales on this one aren't big enough for it to be a mahseer, and the mouth too small. I guess it must be a mix or a hybrid. The first big one to have been landed from that lake so we'll only know once more fish are caught.

Regards,

Indian Angler.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great picture Rustam the smiles tell it all!

Indian Angler,I have to agree with both you and Rob.It certainly doesnt look "right" for a true Grassie does it? Still a mighty fine fish what ever its parentage.

What are these "Carnatic" (Sp?) carp you get in India?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Thanks for taking over Rustam, while I was lost somewhere in cyber sapce.

I more or less highjacked your thread, out of over enthusiasm, and you are thanking me? :blink:

Rustam ;)

Great picture Rustam the smiles tell it all!

It's a great feeling having them accompany me outdoors. I am itching for them to catch their first fish - hopefully end of this month. Fingers, amongst other things, crossed.

Rustam

Isn't it what they call a Rohu? Very similar to a grass carp. I believe the record is somewhere around the 15 kilo mark, so that does not look too far off

Paul Singleton

Isn't it what they call a Rohu? Very similar to a grass carp. I believe the record is somewhere around the 15 kilo mark, so that does not look too far off

Hi Singy,

No that isn't a Rohu. The fins on a Rohu are orange, but very similar in shape. I'm sure the Rohu gets bigger than 15kilos. Angling in India is still in its infancy, so it'll take a few more years before some kind of system is worked out where (accurate and verified) records can be maintained.

I think I have a picture of a Rohu somewhere so will post it if I find it.

Regards,

Indian Angler.

Hi Singy,

This is a Rohu I caught a couple of years ago. It was a really beautiful fish and was returned to fight another day. I spent the rest of the day with a really upset guide who tried his best to get his hands on that fish

Regards,

Indian Angler.

2003_0217_192737.jpg

Hi Singy,

This is a Rohu I caught a couple of years ago. It was a really beautiful fish and was returned to fight another day. I spent the rest of the day with a really upset guide who tried his best to get his hands on that fish

Regards,

Indian Angler.

2003_0217_192737.jpg

Lovely fish mate,I assume from what your saying that fish caught over there would be eaten and not put back?

With my silken line and delicate hook,i wander in a myriad of ripples and find freedom!

Hey Rustam,

I'm thanking you!! :)

My pleasure. ;)

Some chaps can be a tad touchy and I thought I had overstepped the line in this instance.

Rustam

Edited by Rustam Bana