groundbait

andyml

Long time since I heard anyone mention sausage rusk Steve! Never used it in groundbait but used to use it when making up Catfood paste!

And what was the name of that "meaty" groundbait we used to use Pomenteg? some thing like that? Curse this damaged mind!

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Long time since I heard anyone mention sausage rusk Steve! Never used it in groundbait but used to use it when making up Catfood paste!

And what was the name of that "meaty" groundbait we used to use Pomenteg? some thing like that? Curse this damaged mind!

We used to use sausage rusk as a mixer when after barbel, the first time we used it we didn't mix it right, and the balls were still there in the swim intact, 7hours later when we packed up! :D

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Guest Brumagem Phil
We used to use sausage rusk as a mixer when after barbel, the first time we used it we didn't mix it right, and the balls were still there in the swim intact, 7hours later when we packed up! :D

The guy who followed you into the swim wasnt so lucky........he was found in tewkesbury in several pieces after treadin on one of your land mines in his waders!!!

The guy who followed you into the swim wasnt so lucky........he was found in tewkesbury in several pieces after treadin on one of your land mines in his waders!!!

Must have been a hell of a blast Phil, we were fishing the R Swale in N Yorkshire :o

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Pomenteg was the groundbait marketed by Efgeeco and developed and endorsed by Dick Walker and Fred J Taylor. I used it a bit, but wouldn't have called it "meaty" (unless by that you mean "substantial").

The recipe was never revealed, but it was advertised as being "100% fish food" and had a sweet, nutty smell to it. RW and FJT used to catch a lot of bream and tench using Pomenteg paste fished over a bed of the groundbait (allegedly).

I never did any good with it... :(

I don't remember Pomenteg being meaty either, although I could be wrong. I also seem to remember reading last year what the ingredients were but have forgotten the details now. Of course at the time even the ingredients were a trade secret, let alone the formula.

The first meaty groundbait I had success with was Meatimix, possibly in the late 70s. I was certainly using it for stillwater chub in the early 80s as I mentioned it correspondence with Peter Stone in 1983. As far as I remember it was produced by a firm called British Groundbaits. It was probably just crumb with tiny bits of scrap meat added, but I remember it would hold patrolling chub in a swim.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Yes you are all right! Meatimix and Pomenteg were out at the same sort of time and Ive got them confused!

You could get one of them ready made in like little cup shapes as well (or am I getting confused again!?)

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

You could get one of them ready made in like little cup shapes as well (or am I getting confused again!?)

I think they were called Coax, and were similar to a method feeder but had a dry, crumbly texture. I remember using them in the early 70s.

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I'm just using vitalin with micro pellets, some times putting in dead maggots and a little bit of corn.

If you use boiling water to mix it the vitalin binds quite well. If you don't want to play around some of the Van de Eyne method mix binds it well.

Cheapest place I have found for vitalin are the pet super stores like "pet city"

Vitalin is on special offer at just 99p per bag from Morrisons at the present time.

Ian Flynn

Look out for Angling fairs in your area (like those done by Used Tackle Co). You can normally find groundbait addatives there at prices lower than tackle shops. Also if you have the space and are lucky to have a good pet supplies store in your area buy in bulk (25 kg bag of Brown Crumb about 12 quid the other week). Just remember to decant it into storage buckets if your going to keep it in the garage or the mice will get it.