trolling rods and reels

niko

i was wandering ,well what the title says?

iam sorting out my kit to see what is suitable for when my yak arrives .when i fish from bigger boats i use a bass rod for tope and a spinning rod (50g )for the rest,both of these are 10 foot.for reels i use 2 abu 6500 mag elites and a baitrunner .i tend to use 15lb mono on all

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my tuppence, A lot of people seem to prefer the Baitrunner reels, because the ease of maintaining these reels and with the close proximity of salt water at all times on a yak you want a reel thats going to take a pasting, you could of course go for some cheaper options but no matter how well you look after them they will give in time and are pretty much disposable.

My prefered rods are Shimano Beastmater AX for spinning and plugging and I use my old tried and trusted ugly stick coupled with a Abu 7000c3 for bottom, feathering etc.

So your kit is perfectly fine.

Photo Gallery

If life is one big joke, I just dont get it.

Sunrise Caper

Sunrise Venus

Sky Blue Prowler 15

Here's my tuppence, A lot of people seem to prefer the Baitrunner reels, because the ease of maintaining these reels and with the close proximity of salt water at all times on a yak you want a reel thats going to take a pasting, you could of course go for some cheaper options but no matter how well you look after them they will give in time and are pretty much disposable.

My prefered rods are Shimano Beastmater AX for spinning and plugging and I use my old tried and trusted ugly stick coupled with a Abu 7000c3 for bottom, feathering etc.

So your kit is perfectly fine.

when trolling what sort of line do you tend to use ,i guess in effect its boat powered spinning so the spinning kit and lures would be the one ,is that right?

when trolling what sort of line do you tend to use ,i guess in effect its boat powered spinning so the spinning kit and lures would be the one ,is that right?

For me no more than 15lb-20lb, because there are a lot of lobster pots in the areas I tend to fish I need something I can breakaway if I get stuck on a submerged marker, line or net, esspecially with our tidal runs, it doesn't take long to pull you out of your yak if you get stuck sideways on to a rip while trying to save your gear I can tell you.

:fish:

Edited by Prowler

Photo Gallery

If life is one big joke, I just dont get it.

Sunrise Caper

Sunrise Venus

Sky Blue Prowler 15

you might find 10 foot a bit too long in a yak---but as in everything it's best to try for yourself to see what rod length suits you.I personally prefer to use rods under 7ft6in.My favourite a 12lb class boat rod is only about 6 ft.I liked it so much that I got another!Have caught Tope on it too!But 6ft will be too short for some people.To sum up I would say that whatever size rod you're comfortable with is the right choice :thumbs: Confused---I am! :D

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

you might find 10 foot a bit too long in a yak---but as in everything it's best to try for yourself to see what rod length suits you.I personally prefer to use rods under 7ft6in.My favourite a 12lb class boat rod is only about 6 ft.I liked it so much that I got another!Have caught Tope on it too!But 6ft will be too short for some people.To sum up I would say that whatever size rod you're comfortable with is the right choice :thumbs: Confused---I am! :D

what is the boat rod im maybe looking for a 12 or maybe 6lb class rod ,fishing light is the ownly way!!!!!

what is the boat rod im maybe looking for a 12 or maybe 6lb class rod ,fishing light is the ownly way!!!!!
It is a Shakespeare Euroboat one piece 12lb class.Martin Hurst also has one and loves his.I bought mine at Rogers Tackle at Swansea for £15---Martin paid even less!

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Fantastic little rod , bought off the Shakespeare stand at last years Royal welsh Show for a fiver I think(time dulls the memory :blink: ?)

Will be looking to get another next week at the same show :) Not a bad day out if your in the area.

Ok Prowler 13

Fantastic little rod , bought off the Shakespeare stand at last years Royal welsh Show for a fiver I think(time dulls the memory :blink: ?)

Will be looking to get another next week at the same show :) Not a bad day out if your in the area.

£16 for royal welsh ticket this year i think but a fiver for a rod thats nothing!!!!