Thanks for the last advice! how about this lot for starters?

megocorp

It may be cheap Chris but if someone's just starting then they don't need to spend hundreds of pounds on fishing equipment. In my local fishing shop the cheapest rod they sell is £49.95 and the cheapest reel is £19.95. By the time you've added in all the other stuff then you've got to be looking at at least £150 if you were to go to the local fishing shop. Now I'm sure that the rod and reel are far better than anything than you'll get at Tesco, Argos, Lidl or wherever but if I was asked my opinion I would still recommend that someone shell out £30 and find out if they like fishing first rather than putting them off by telling them that it'll cost them £150 before they even start.

If they like fishing they will soon upgrade their gear and they will do that at the local fishing shop, this is a natural progression.

Megacorp, by all means try the local tackle shop and see what they will do for you but remember that, especially when you are starting, the amount spent is not necessarily proportional to the amount caught.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Megacorp - there are certainly good and bad points about anywhere you source your equipment and especially when you are new.

One suggestion I would make is that you get directly in touch with Chris. He is a long-time contibutor here and many of us have fished with him and quite a few have bought gear from him.

Reliable man, has good gear, and has proven himself to be completely honest over the years. He also knows a huge amount about angling.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Steve (megocorp), do you have any mates that go fishing. If so, ask them if they have any old gear you can borrow. After using their old stuff for a while you will learn what is good/bad about it and you can buy more suitable kit a piece at a time.

It's always preferable to buy half decent second hand gear, but I am of the opinion that there is actually no such thing as "crap tackle", there is just an awful lot of tackle snobbery about. Way back when, before everything had to have a "label", I'd wager that most of us DID start our fishing with the sort of tackle Argos and the like sell, I know mine came from Woolies. At the end of the day, the only REALLY important piece of tackle is the last six inches of line and the hook! What connects you to this is purely a matter of preference, taste or wealth.

Thanks all for the great advice! Chris i have mailed you asking for advice, specific. I will have about £80 to start with as i have chopped and changed my ideas and options. Again all thanks for your advice. I do have a friend who will come with me however his gear is at his mums , hes been married years and its one of those yeah il be there blah blah blah. Im not affraid to ask anyone for help so lets see what happens.

Steve

OK its been 20 years since I went, I'm now looking to take the kids but as you can imagine a little out of touch.

Most of the gear is still in good nick, Rods, Reels, Micromesh landing and keep net.

Rod Bag and Net bag ok too.

Rod Stands, floats 3BB, 4AA, 2+ Swan. Drift beaters etc, etc.

Bait Boxes,Umbrella's good too.

Tackle box & float box has seen better days (falling appart)

I'm looking to fish at lydney, Gloucester sometime over the summer break. I'm aware of the licence requirements so thats not the problem.

The thing is Lydney has a variety of roach, tench & Carp, and probaby a few more.

I'm going to need line, Hooks, weights, feeders and bait.

I'm not wanting to spend the earth on it either, but want some satisfsaction.

So if can pick up 4-6lb Carp or smaller, the results will be worth it, but not limiting myself to just Carp.

So recommendations please, what do you recon is the best choice.:thumbs:

Well there you go Steve Eltons just posted a link to some great match rods on Tackle Bargains.Get the 13' Masterline and youve still got enough left out of your £80 to buy a cheap little Shimano match reel and some line, float, hooks to nylon and shot.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Hi mearmortal and welcome.

Budgie was answering another poster. I'd offer suggestions but I live so far away and fish under such different conditions that it would be worthless.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi Mearmortal,welcome to AN.As Newt said my last post was for the origonator of this thread as he is looking at getting some gear to start with.However if you look at the post where I reccomend him getting a basic float fishing outfit the reccomendations for end tackle will suit you as well. If you think you will be getting more Tench and Carp than Roach I would sugest dtepping up both the main line and hook to nylon strengths maybe a 4lb mainline and size 16 hooks to 2 1/2-3lb low diameter hook length.

I dont know the water in question,(hopefully some one looking in might?) but when you are at the water it will pay you to watch to see who is catching regularly and see what tackle and methods they are using.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Go to a decent local car boot sale with £20 and a list of the essentials. You'll have change more than likely with decent stuff. Look for someone who has lots of fishing stuff and you know it'll be more than likely reasonable stuff.

What do you need? IMO:

A rod with a thin tip - i'd go for a leger/feeder rod, so you can add a swing/quiver tip if need be at a later date.

A reel that works smoothly and that isn't too large.

Some floats, legers and hooks (16 or 18) ready-tied, some shot.

A maggot box, maybe a landing net (probably a good idea in case you hook a decent fish).

That leaves you enough for your licence.

Wetter than an otter's pocket.