My first go at HDR photography

Eatlard

Hi all,

Been playing with my kit again and this is what I've come up with. There are 2 ways of doing this, the best being multiple shots that are staggered under and over exposed then combined and then a range of colours are taken from each image then you map the tones back on...well that's my understanding anyway :)

HDRI - High Dynamic Range Imaging

Heres my first try. This ones actually taken from one RAW shot which is then multi saved as under and overexposed to get the same effect. It would have been much better had i actually got myself a remote release already so that I could combine actual different shots. This is my nearest and dearest...

What do you guys think -

MariaHDR2.jpg

Edited by Eatlard

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what you are talking about either but it is a superb photo, my only concern is that it is obvious it has been worked on and I would prefer it to look more natural. I'd like to see the original photo to do a comparison and try to understand how you have adjusted it. The colours are very rich though and against the white of the clouds shows a wonderful contrast. Well Done. Your lady looks nice too (thems walking up hills legs!)

I hate getting up early, I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!

Is this combining bracketed images to get the best all over exposure? For example exposing for the colours of the foreground that blow the sky out, then exposing for the sky making foreground too dark, then combining the best of both?

Steve...:)

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

Exactly so Steve. There's software that you can play about with the images but that's basically the gist of it. It works alot better if you shoot a static item, say a building, then the clouds and sky behind it really change and come into play. I'm working on a couple more, i'll post when im happy with them - ok now added a vase shot taken on my windowsill, still doesnt give the effect of the clouds i'm talking about but I really need a remote release for that.

vaseHDR2.jpg

Here's the original for info

originalvase.jpg

Edited by Eatlard

:headhurt: Great for fooling everybody in an advertising shot? But I have to say this is the real world. You appear to be entering the world of the 'Nerdy type Anorak' :nerd: . Sorry, they look flat to me, the mind is trying to work out how that can be? Has that flat martian landscape look. And you were doing so well with your Tamron 90?

I'm sure its fun, but is it reality? Only a personal opinion, each to his own?

:ph34r:

Edited by CJS2

Have you tried doing it in photoshop ? I prefer this method as you tend to get a more natural look to the photo.

Some information for anyone interested in giving HDR ago.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/hdr.shtml

http://petemc.net/hdrguide.pdf

I don't actually have Photoshop, so er no :) . I have Paint Shop Pro but as with all these things, I am still learning how to use the software correctly.

:headhurt: Great for fooling everybody in an advertising shot? But I have to say this is the real world. You appear to be entering the world of the 'Nerdy type Anorak' :nerd: . Sorry, they look flat to me, the mind is trying to work out how that can be? Has that flat martian landscape look. And you were doing so well with your Tamron 90?

I'm sure its fun, but is it reality? Only a personal opinion, each to his own?

CJS2 - Nerdy type anorak? Thanks! I guess this is the time to own up and admit I work in I.T? These certainly aren't to everyones taste which is fair enough. I guess I'm treating this the same way I treat many things, the more you know, the more options you have - it's just another string to my bow to quote a cliche.

I do have some more piccies to post from my "normal" shots that i'll add later :)

CJS2 - Nerdy type anorak? Thanks! I guess this is the time to own up and admit I work in I.T? These certainly aren't to everyones taste which is fair enough. I guess I'm treating this the same way I treat many things, the more you know, the more options you have - it's just another string to my bow to quote a cliche.

I do have some more piccies to post from my "normal" shots that i'll add later :)

'Eastard', sorry mate, I have a very strong personal view on digital 'cut and chop'! Simply it aint "photography as we know it (Jim)" :lol:

Personaly, I see it as cheating in photographic terms. It could be treated as a seperate art form perhaps, ie, painting is producing an image but it aint photography, infact I would put it somewhere in between, They did not think much of Picasso in his early days. :lol:

I take your IT conection as even worse, surly you would want to get away from it? . . . no, I supose not, if the cap fits :lol: But it still aint Photography, despite the tricks I know the old hands got upto in the dark room. Enjoy it mate, but sorry, I canot join you enthusiasum.

Edited by CJS2

I think that the art form of 'Digital processing' or whatever you want to call it, is as interesting and as important as basic photography but two completely different art forms.

I am a member of a fan site dedicated to the musician Mike Oldfield and this conversation comes up regilarly, real music versus synthesized music, both are equally as talented, but they are a different type of talent entirely.

I think the more old fashioned of us or less technologically minded, feel a little insecure having to compete with this sort of new art form that is available, and while I absolutely love to look at the photos that are presented on this site and am greatly impressed by the cleverness of supposed amateurs, I have no urge to delve into this area myself and often feel slightly put out that photos taken from a camera which pretty much only captures what it sees, and the art is left purely in the hands of the person holding the camera, is a dying art form. I was very very proud when my snail photo won an early competition, because it was my idea that won, not the fancy alterations, which Thank God are still not allowed in the Competitions. In fact if there was enough interest on the site and someone else to organise it and take the burdon off Steve, it might be interesting to have 'PhotoShop?! Competitions'.

I should not have posted this here, my apologies to Eatlard, no disrespect aimed towards you whatsoever, I think it's fantastic how you changed that vase photo, I just think it is a different form of art. If it was categorised differently then it wouldn't detract from or interfere with the more sensitive and simple form of basic photography.

I hate getting up early, I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!