First kayak..first trip...first bass...loving it!

fishtr8

Hello there,

Just bought my first kayak after approximately 6 months of looking and testing and opted for the Tarpon 14. Went for my first trip out last night after failing for the carp all day on my local lake and had a great session. I am really a complete novice to the sea fishing scene but I had a great evenings fishing -having a hatful of mackerel on the feathers, before switching to a single lure and bagging a 2lb bass! Is anyone out there willing to give me some hot tips on where/how I can try to bag my first big kayak bass?

I will be out again tonight for sure!

Cheers for now, TR8.

Edited by fishtr8

tr8

Tarpon 140

Hi fishtr8, welcome aboard mate.

That's a great first outing, your not going far wrong there a single yann/lure will bag them if you get the right spot.

I've tried plugging for them without much success so far but I got a nice Rapalla collection LOL, the killer bait for me is live sandeel, if you can get them around your area your onto a winner.

Some of the guy's here have tankwells to keep thier bait alive but I have found that they keep

perfectly fine in the footwells of my yak with fresh seawater running in and out of the scuppers, it all depends on how much you want to pimp your ride but I like to keep things simple and uncluttered.

Best way to catch Sandeel is a set of small white feathers wieghted with either a Yann or a 3oz weight bounced off the bottom or about six foot off.

Once you have enough for your session slap on a 3/0 a small bead lead/shot and freeline the eel, put the hook through either the top or bottom lip thread it though till about two thirds down the body of the sand eel and nick the hook into the skin of the eel and your ready to go.

Obviously a lot depends on the ground and depth your fishing in but I find about 15-20 foot of line gives the bait enough freedom as it swims to the bottom, brakes off and wait, you will know when you have a big Bass, they are simply amazing. ;)

Photo Gallery

If life is one big joke, I just dont get it.

Sunrise Caper

Sunrise Venus

Sky Blue Prowler 15

Welcome Fishtr8

Great first outing.

In my neck of the woods the rapala x-rap, sliver, magnum and skitterpops work very well. Another top lure is the 70mm redgill used with a bubble float for low light conditions. Every lure has it's use for different conditions/situations.

I like live sandeel too but I use a size 4 hook for regular and size 1 for larger launce on a long flying collar. Live joey makerel are also a top bait. For keeping livebaits I use a Flambue trolling bucket. I use the same as prowler to catch the sandeel white feathers tied with size 10 longshank hooks.

Hope to hear you getting a big un soon.

GB

Edited by GB

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

not good eating at 2lb , better returned for another day IMHO

Martin, I know where your coming from but 2-2.5 lb is the prefered eating size, the resturants generally like that size for portions, over here anyway plus the meat has a slightly sweeter taste to it.

Photo Gallery

If life is one big joke, I just dont get it.

Sunrise Caper

Sunrise Venus

Sky Blue Prowler 15

Imagine the uproar if restaurants served up salmon SMOLTS.

Nobody worries about eating a portion of a mature salmon, they don't eat baby salmon - so why do they insist on eating baby bass.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo