Am I asking too much from a reel

arthurcodsbody

I'm looking for a new multiplier for the winter, basically this is my criteria....but does it exist?

7000 size preferably an ABU

Mag breaks

Level wind

I can either find a 6500 mag with level wind or a 7000 LW without Mag breaks

My reels at the minute are niether mags nor level wind (6500 & 525GS) and I think the trouble i'm having with the casts especially from the penn for some reason is improper line lay on my part, Any suggestions that incorporate all the above?

heers

Matt

women love me, fish fear me!!

http://www.alba-rods.co.uk

Riverside Tackle SAC

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you really wont need magnets if you have a levelwind as the mechanism slows down the spool so much anyway. ideally go for a 6000/7000 type thing if you really need the levelwind. shimano calcuttas are the best levelwind casting reels if you can afford one. such nice reels to use

Cheers Dan

I think I need a 7000 size as I use the heavier lines 25lb-35lb line straight through for the rough ground on the east coast of Scotland and I find the smaller size reels I''ve got struggle with capacity.

So you reckon a standard 7000 or 7000C3 would do the trick, I could probably forgo the mags as Ive never used one before but I think I do need the LW

Matt

women love me, fish fear me!!

http://www.alba-rods.co.uk

Riverside Tackle SAC

I dont think the problem is line lay Matt... The GS reels are extremely temperamental! I can cast multipliers no bothers, all diffrent kinds, but for some reason my Penn 535 GS doesent want to be tamed! I can cast it no bothers for ages then suddenly for nop reason it will start mis-behaving. Sometimes it goes through a whole sesh not doing what i want it too.... No a big fan as you can see...... All there good for IMO is short range lobbing, cos they are fairly sturdy rough ground crankers.

Try diffrent reels, such as the daiwa SLX range... So smooth to cast with and as long as the brake blocks are in wont cause you too many bothers. There isnt a great deal of trickery involved in line lay, just as long as its fairly balanced from side to side. Even if you rus hwhen you have hooked a fish and the line builds up on one side, a gently lob sorts that out before your next propper cast (though not always the case with the dreaded GS reels!)

Tight Lines

Shaun

Guest jay_con

Cant think of one but: (1)loose the mag brakes which really are not necassery for fishing purposes and : (2) Ditch the level wind (it will take you all of half an hour to learn to use a reel without one), and then you have the choice of some truely fantastic reels.

Guest conger tamer

Glasgowdan:

problem is do the mag conversion and you aint got no ratchet any more! and for fishing a ratchet is far more important than mags

no need to remove the ratchet as the sideplate has loads of room to fit the mag assembly