Am I asking too much from a reel

arthurcodsbody

My main reel for east coast codding is a 535Mag and I love it. Tough as old boots and totally reliable. I find the mag very useful to tune the reel for the wind conditions, especially when its swirling and gusting, behind you one minute and in your face the next. I always use it with 35lb line and I think that helps as well.

I also use a 20yr old 7000C with levelwind, with 35lb on it. It also casts well but I find I have to keep it set slower to make sure it stays OK if the wind changes. If a birdie starts with a levelwind its all over, with the open cage of the 535mag I can thumb the edge of the spool and calm it back down and save the cast. Hence the 7000c is tuned slow to stay safe. The difference in speed is really obvious as well, the 6:1 of the 535 really helps in snaggy ground.

I also have a 525mag that I use with 17lb and it is more temperamental, mostly it is fine but if I really go for it or knock the mag down a notch as its nice and clam suddenly it blows up. I'm going to try 20lb or 25lb line with it to see if that makes it bombproof like my 535mag.

My 6500CTmag on the other hand never blows up with 15lb line, sweet.

I'd suggest that for rough ground codding you also want speed and strength as criteria. Based on that I'd recommend a 535mag, or if you are happy without mag brakes the slosh.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a 6600LD and it were rubbish. Drag was very on/off, and it corroded badly inside the sideplate there the freespool lever/thumb-bar goes in (OK, so it did live on the boat, but it was washed down with fresh water every trip). SL30SH is much better, no lever drag to knock off/on, and it only corrodes on the outside.

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

I know what your saying about the 535GS my mate uses one and he's a really good caster but he says "sh*t that thing scares the crap outa me, its gonna take me b@stard thumb off one day" maybe the MAG is better, Am now thinking between the 6500 CS mag with level wind or a 535MAG or 7000 LW considering it'll be used for east coast rough ground work which do you all think is best

Matt

women love me, fish fear me!!

http://www.alba-rods.co.uk

Riverside Tackle SAC

Guest jay_con

535 mag is not the best of reels. A really crap casting reel. Very bulky with a strange knob (ooerrr matron) on the side. Only thing in its favour is its retrieve which is great. If your going to fish the rocks also stay clear of the 6500 sizes as they arent built for it. A great reel is the abu 7500 c3 which has a level wind, although I prefer the 7500 ct. Only thing wrong with abu reels are the side plates which corrode a little to fast for my liking and are probably designed like that to get you to buy some new side plates every 2 or 3 years.

Guest jay_con

I have one. Not a bad reel at all. Yes brass sideplates. Great casting real. Only thing is its got a slower retrieve than the 7500, slosh and penns, but that is not necasserily a negative uless fishing in the heaviest of ground.

Guest jay_con

I also put the syncro sideplates on my 7500 ct but had to fit a bush instead of the handle bearing. I dont notice any difference in performance.